SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tplife

Review: Wegan 400W Power Dome

tplife
16 years ago

I'm pretty tired of going through 2.5 sets of 6 C batteries per weekend. I like having 75 or so CDs on hand to have a nice ambience to my campsite, and every so often I have to remove, dispose, and reload the battery supply. And when's the last time you saw a decent D battery CD player that was compact in size? Recently we bought the Wagan 400W Power Dome, $ 65.99, at Costco. After a 36-hour charge I packed it into the car and headed for the ABATE 13th Regional Rally at Lake ElSinore. The rear-mounted inverter has two AC outlets and the plug fit right it. I put the 'Dome on a bit of newspaper to keep the dustoff and placed the Sony CD player on the Roll-A-Table and cut loose. We played many-a-disc Friday day, night, Saturday and Saturday night and it wasn't until 12:41 AM Sunday morning that the power finally was insufficient to run a CD. After a 10-minute break, I had enough power back for about four disc cuts and again lost power. I still had enough power to run the 5-LED lamp on front if wanted and even recharged my cell phone on the front-mounted DC outputs. Sunday pack-up meant several more discs that I ran on the old C batteries, still in the player from out last trip in '06. I'm pleased with the performance and power this device provided. I suppose someday I'll use the built-in compressor and maybe even the battery booster - it would sure beat the usual car-to-car jump start. Two Thumbs Up!

Comment (1)

• tplife
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After one year of use, my Wegan (Wagan) Power dome is ready for the ash heap. It won't power my music for even one full evening (7 hours). This is a battery booster, not a power source. A power source is a deep-cycle battery, with thick lead plates. A battery booster uses thin spongy lead plates. One device cannot do both, and after about a dozen charges this device only shows 10V on my voltmeter. I barely got the cost back considering what I saved on batteries. I am working on a power source that uses an Optima AGM deep-cycle battery from Costco, a WalMart Group 24 battery box to carry the battery and electrical wiring,a Vinson 12v-to-9v converter and WalMart cigarette lighter plug. The Wagan will still be a decent device at home for pumping up rafts and such, but it will probably be disassembled for parts. A great reference for power sources can be found at:
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn/burn-power.html
    and at:
    http://www.kr1st.com/powerpack.htm

Sponsored