SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

very sad sight Avian Pox

12 years ago

I wouldn't wish this on any bird, however this is an adult male Cowbird, so I am not too upset. Noticed last week this bird was a bit slow but was not close enough to see his head. I have seen him under the feeders and he has been the last one to fly off when I approach. Today I noticed something strange in his appearance. Got the binocs and got a good look. Poor thing has a small growth on one side between his beak and eye and a much larger one nearly covering his eye on the other. He was trying to drink from a nearly empty birdbath so I went and filled it for him. I got within 2 feet of him. He can still fly but is weak. Cowbirds are not bird feeder birds so I am not too concerned there. When I spoke to the DNR about the Turkey that had Avian Pox a few years back (that died a horrid death) I was told it is only spread when another bird comes in direct contact with the infected bird. Elly or someone else please confirm. The little guy is going to have time for a nice drink, bath and dinner then he's going to birdy heaven by my 22. Nobody will rehab a Cowbird around here. Is this something I need to report?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor