SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Robin bad boys

mosswitch
13 years ago

Now, I love robins. I do. But they are sooo destructive in my garden! I have extensive moss lawns, and gardens, an they descendon them like a plague, ripping and tearing, scattering moss and making huge craters. At first, I thought they might be taking it to make nests. But they don't, they just destroy it. Ripping it to shreds, pulling out huge chunks of it, flipping it over. The same place, everyday, sometimes two and three times a day, right after I put it back. So finally I resorted to bird netting, in the worst places--and when they couldn't get to the moss, they instead amused themselves yanking out small sedums and other plants next to it. They pull out seedlings, nip the tops off of others (not eating them, mind you, just ripping them out, cutting them off, and leaving them lie). I thought at first that maybe they were looking for worms, but I no longer think so as there are many other places that have more worms than under the moss. Today there was a gang of 7 (I counted them when I sneaked up on them, all male, all adult) working on the bird netting trying to pull it loose. What makes them behave that way? It seems that they are being deliberately destructive, like small bored boys.

Comments (2)