SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gourdfairy

dead baby birds about 15 ft from birdhouse

gourdfairy
9 years ago

We have several birdhouses on our patio and all are usually full of sparrows. Last week, there were two dead, featherless babies, dead on the patio and another on the yard about 10 ft further away. The birdhouse is about 8 ft off the ground, no pestering by cats and always have had success in raising of babies. We did put a trellis up a couple years ago where an animal could have access to the house and we do have skunks and raccoons around, but these babies were not damaged, just dead. They were spaced about 3ft apart. Could the mother have "thrown" out the babies due to neurological problems? I know it is odd, but we found 3 baby rabbits while wood cutting years ago that were scattered about 10 ft from each other. We brought them home, bottle fed them and when they were larger, they were not able to walk or have much control over their bodies. I had my vet put them to sleep and I think the mother "knew" the babies were damaged and deliberately put them out of nest apart from each other. Could this happen to birds also? Thanks for any information on this.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm