SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

anyone ever have a mocker take requests??

dirtgirl
13 years ago

I'm laughing again just thinking about this. Just down the road from us is a cedar tree where a pair of mockers live. I ride my bike by there daily and have come to rely on their serenades as good medicine for the hot streak of weather we've been getting.

Well, two days back as I came through one was doing that funny little flutter dance thing and really getting into the singing, and I stopped and stared at it. The bird immediately shut up, perched on the power line above my head and cocked its head at me. We looked at each other a second, and then for no real reason I gave it a catbird's "meaaaaaahhhh" a couple of times. More stares, and not much else except buzzing summer heat sounds. I decided to be on my way and had just put my feet back into the pedals when I heard it...." meaaaah." pause. Again, "meeaaaaahhhh". Then the bird once again resumed its free-association style of singing as I moved away down the road. I had just about toppled off my saddle from laughing at that silly bird when I turned and glanced up at the nearest house. I realized there were folks in the yard and nobody was moving or talking and they were all staring at me.

I know why they are called mockingbirds, but has anyone ever had them repeat a sound you made immediately after having made it?

maybe the heat's getting to me

Comments (6)