SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dzyg

Fall Bluebird photos.....and my year in review...

dzyg
13 years ago

Well 2010 was not as good here for the Bluebirds as 2009 was. Out of three pairs of Blues we only had 11 new Blues in the world, which is better than none but we should of had approx 25. Strange year as we lost some nestlings for no apparent reason, some eggs due to wrens and some to suspected blowflies, and two to a raccoon. Hopefully 2011 will be a better year for the Blues. It was a fantastic year for the Tree Swallows though much better than 2009 was. My four Blues from my garden nestbox (mom, dad and two fledglings) are still here and eating rehydrated dried mealworms daily. I expect them to be leaving in the next couple of weeks as they do not overwinter here in WI. I made the switch to dried mealworms at the beginning of Sept and it went just fine, they adjusted well. I suppose the cooler/wetter September we had probably helped. So far October is nice and warm, except for the nights which have been below or at freezing. I have gotten some nice photos the last couple days of the Bluebirds, mostly mom and dad I think, I can tell mom from the female fledgling as thier tailfeathers are different colors but the male fledgling and the Dad I cannot tell apart anymore. Usually though the Dad is with mom and the two fledglings are together.

Donna

Comments (3)