SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmeditator

My first trellis for tomatoes and other vegetables

GardenMeditator
9 years ago

Hello everyone!

I would like to start off by saying thank you to the community. I have started organic gardening vegetables at my home for the past few years (on a very tiny scale), and was looking for a better way of trellising my tomatoes and other veggies that I wanted to somewhat scale up this year. After reading many threads on these forums before I started my seedlings this season, I decided to go with the concrete reinforced mesh and EMT conduit route.

Started with sticking some 4 ft rebar sections into the ground, about 2 feet deep. I then slid 5 foot sections of EMT tubing over the rebar. Used some duck tape around the rebar before sliding the tube on it, so it can be more snug.

Closed off the EMT conduit frame with elbow and T-sections made for EMT.

After I was satisfied with the EMT frame, I zip-tied the concrete reinforcement mesh to it. Each bed has 2 trellises, joined together with mesh to make sure nothing topples over although that last step might not be necessary. I purchased the mesh in a huge roll, appox 5 x 50 foot. It was somewhat of a pain to unroll and straighten (get help from someone!), but once you get that part done, the rest is easier.

Please see the attachment picture. I have some heirloom and cherry tomatoes, as well as cucumbers and buttercup squash growing on the trellis. Here's what I learned about my setup:

Advantage:

Very Sturdy
Easy access to fruits/veggies
Weaving the growing vines is easy
Provides lots of air circulation to plant
Looks very cool!!

Disadvantage:

More expensive at first, but can be re-used for many years.

I wanted to share this information especially for newbie gardeners like me. Also, what does everyone else think? Do you have any comments or suggestions?

Comments (26)