SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trailerparkbirds

Bad News: Dead babies, probably ants

trailerparkbirds
15 years ago

Babies starting hatching wed, did a quick check yesterday and they were alive, but today noticed no activity, no female around so I said to my self I better check on them. I checked and they were all dead 5 of them with ants all over them.

It's sad, but this stuff happens and we all learn from it. Will eventually replace wooden post with a metal or plastic one very soon.

I figure that probably there was only a few ants at first, not noticeable and after they were born the ants were attracted to them even more. Actually I really didn't see the ants until I pulled the nest out, that may be why the female was always resting half way out the hole. Anyway I did put some grease on wooden post but obviously didn't have enough or they are coming up through the cracks through the middle of post. Anyway will start over and replace wooden posts with metal or plastic ones. Is there any preference of metal vs. PVC(plastic). Is one better then the other, lets not have this happen again.

Keith

P.s.--not positive about cause of death, it doesn't appear that they were pecked to death or something like that. Maybe the ants came after their death. Either way the mother isn't around, I don't know whether she left after the last one died or whether she left before any of them died. I've even thought of a genetic problem or feeding the babies insects that have just been sprayed in one of the many gardens nearby, will probably never know.

Comments (5)