SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elly_nj

Dangers of bird droppings

Elly_NJ
12 years ago

It has been recently mentioned many times here about the health dangers of bird droppings, which often seems to justify removing nests of birds that that have cohabited around humans for centuries (Eastern phoebes, Barn swallows.)

I highly doubt this. Common sense should realize that there are bird droppings, raccoon droppings (WAY more immediately dangerous with parasites), skunk, squirrel, 'possum droppings right off your porch/deck/etc.

I've been on this forum for over 10 years, when it was an active, thriving community of very experienced birders, many of which were experts (I'm thinking of Wren, Feather, and a young man involved in ornithology in Cornell, just to name a few.) No one ever expressed concern about the rampant dangers of local bird droppings. In fact some, like me, actually were exposed daily to droppings, having worked in avian rehab and having to inadvertently handle feces in handling the birds. Not to mention walking through large aviaries daily.

Has anyone here known anyone whose sickness was a direct result of birds leaving dropping on their property? I think this is an excuse to just rid themselves of a nest that inconveniences them.

How many of these same people spray poison in their yards for insects, weed and maybe mice? And then walk through that same property and have their kids play on the grass?

I know the potential diseases/parasites you can get from any wild animal. But any statistics, or anecdotals? The sites I googles came up with Wildlife Control businesses whose goals are suspect, and vague warnings from health departments about the risks of infection.

But no statistics, just speculation.

Anyone here ever get sick from a robin's nest on your porch?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!