SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timothy_birdlover

Successful nest transplant

timothy_birdlover
15 years ago

I took everyones advice and moved the nest from the fence to a box mounted on a pole with a baffle. The box is a nice one with plenty of ventilation, a screen floor to keep the nest dry, and a side door with plexiglass inside to view the babies. And I put my "Sparrow Spooker" extras on it. The siver mylar and the filiment line.

I used standard electrical conduit brackets to connect the pole to the back of the box. They were a little big so I wrapped electrical tape around the pole to "fatten it up"

I used a squirrel baffle that I bought at a local store to put on the pole. The next picture you can see the new location in respect to where it was on the fence. Its farthur away from the fence than it looks in the picture. In addition, the metal pole is very slippery.

The next picture gives you a good shot of the eye screws for the filament and the gift wrap silver mylar.

Now came the nerve wracking job, to safely move the nest from the box on the fence to the one on the pole.

My wife and I got eveything we thought we would need and opened the old box and very carefully lifted the nest out with the two little ones in it. I had to trim a lot of nest material off the bottom because it was wet. And off the sides so it would fit on the piece of screen in the new box.

Once we got it in the new box we slid the plexiglass back up in place. Now came the crucial part, sitting on the deck watching the parents to be sure they found their babies.

It was absolute agony watching them flying around the old box and looking inside and landing on the fence and flying franticly around and going to the empty box for at least forty-five minutes with insects in their beaks trying to figure out what happen to their young ones. We were scared to death that they wouldn't find them and that we had made a terrible mistake. We just kept watching and praying that they would go to the new box and look inside.

At that point I told my wife that I was taking the old box off the fence because it was a distraction. One of their favorite perches is the wind direction head that you can see in one of the photos. Finally the male landed on it and from that vantage point he could see the entrance to the new box. Finally he flew over and looked inside. We were so excited that he had dicovered them.

A few minutes later the female started flying around the new home, then she landed and looked inside. Suddenly she went in the box. We were so relieved. At that point we knew everything was going to be OK. For the rest of the afternoon I sat and watched as they made trip after trip to the new box with a beak full of insects. They even took some mealworms in that I had put in the feeder.

I believe we have made things as safe as possible for the little ones and increased their chances 1000% thanks to all the great advice we got from this forum and it's members.

I realize that we were probably breaking the law by moving the nest but drastic times call for drastic measures and as I learned from this forum it was absolutely critical that I moved the nest. I learned a very valuable lesson in all this.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths