SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roberta_nc

Mama sits in entrance hole with babies inside

roberta_nc
12 years ago

Hi all, I'm on my 2nd brood this year with the same pair and have experienced some odd things. She originally had 5 eggs but 2 disappeared. The box is mounted on a pole with a baffle, so I am sure it was not a crawling, hopping, or walking predator--maybe another bird? We've never had house sparrows around but we do have a lot of titmice, carolina wrens, bluejays, and others. My question now relates to her behavior after hatching. One egg hatched last Sunday and the 2nd one on Monday 7-4. The third one has not hatched. The mother spends a lot of time sitting in the entrance hole and I don't remember her doing that after hatching before. I worry because it's hot here and I figure the babies need all the air they can get. I wonder if it is somehow because of the unhatched egg; I've been reluctant to remove it but it may be time to do that. Have you noticed your mama blocking the hole with babies inside? Any ideas or opinions? Mom & Dad are feeding babies and they seem to be growing normally. Dad consistently pecks on our window if the mealworm bowl gets empty!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals