SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

Hussy Mom quits feeding AGAIN!

lisa11310
15 years ago

I got the answer to the final question, see "what the heck is going on". Today is day 12 and poor Joe Daddy is perplexed, try as he may, he can not get the female to feed the babies. SO yes Hussy Mom ran off with this new male. She is doing her same shameless routine, wing waving and shaking her tail feathers in Joe Daddy's face.This explains why the babies from the last brood were allowed to flit around this box since this is their Mom. I feel bad for Pop because Hussy Mom left him with 4 babies to care for after only 5 days. Pop and his new female did not stay and nest in one of the boxes I had for him. I believe he is across the field in a natural cavity about 10 acres from here. I hear him and see the babies now and then but have not been able to locate the nest. There are literally thousands of natural cavities out there. I am hoping to locate it once his new brood hatches and they are feeding. Pop has nested with me for at least 3 years and I am not happy that Hussy Mom has let Joe Daddy run him off. I guess my boxes were not far enough apart. I will move one in hopes of having both pair next year. I think this is a very interesting and unusual case. Has anyone ever heard of a female that refuses to feed her babies after a certain point? Hussy Mom has been very consistent, this is her 3rd nesting in a row and day 11 is it, no more feeding from her. She will be there to fledge, but until then all she will do is dance around like the shameless Hussy she is. INTERESTING!!!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals