SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Sad ending to 6th season

ohsoblue77
11 years ago

I thought something funny was going on when I took peeks into the nestbox with my 2nd pair and could smell the scent of something dead. There was no movement but diving by the parents so I didn't open the box.

Today was (or would have) been day 19. On my final check, the scent and no movement by scratching the box finally clicked in my head.

I promptly unscrewed the door and slowly opened the box.

2 fully feathered, pre-fledge nestlings lie in the nest, clearly dead. The smell was nearly unbearable.

So that means that 2 birds likely survived. But what bothers me is, how did this happen??!

We HAVE been through heat waves throughout the cycle, but I did use some heat shielding with Styrofoam here and there. I also examined blowfly underneath the nest. I had a sparrow spooker and there was no pecking visible. No sign of attacks.

I will have to look for signs of the other 2 fledglings in the trees, but I was least expecting this. All of my boxes are now empty. 15 Tree Swallows fledged. 7 Bluebirds. Probably the lowest success rate for my bluebirds in recent seasons.

The 5 that fledged here at home with their parents are now nowhere to be seen. My assumption is they're out exploring in other areas. Last I saw them, all 5 were still alive and moving among the trees. In past seasons, they would spend 2 - 3 weeks in the neighborhood before dispersing.

Yet again, another season comes and goes very quickly. It's sad to see it all end. I wouldn't call this a bust year, but there were certainly heavy losses.

~Tim~

Comments (7)