SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Finally some good news! Rehabber update!

ohsoblue77
11 years ago

It would appear things are finally heading in my direction.

As you may recall, I had a bluebird pair slowly disappear just as fledge day came. I found the birds on the ground on day 17 unable to fly, as I believed they were underfed and underdeveloped. Total was 5.

I was able to recapture 4 and get 4 of them to a nearby rehabber. 2 died. The other 2 survived to be released.

Today I received a message by the lady, and she said she was able to find a family flock near her around their age that she let them into! She said they appeared to be fed and accepted into the flock.

How about that?! She previously gave me the option of setting them free here, but she had this opportunity and I'm glad she took it! So after all, the survivors have a chance to grow to adults!

This has been an unusually bad season for me, with heavy losses. Both adult and nestling bluebirds. All seem to be situations out of my control, mainly parental problems.

further, 5 new eggs at home by my new pair appear to be piping! Tomorrow is day 13 of incubation.

At my second 'trail' things have been all over the place, but after losing two nestlings, 4 new eggs have been layed.

I baffled all my boxes last year and figured this season would be one of the most successful. Sadly things took a turn for the worse and most stuff was out of my control.

I'll be lucky to have 9 total fledglings if these 2 pairs are successful. Based on timing with fledgling in July, I have my doubts about 2nd attempts. Usually when one fails around here early on and the 2nd makes it, it is then usually too late for another attempt.

Who knows? Maybe this is a 1st or 2nd brood by my pair here at home. 5 eggs = maybe another brood with 4? I can only hope! I'm so jealous of those averaging 2-3 broods and 20 young a season. That would be a record for me I think! I've never had 2 successful tries by the same pair in my boxes, and this is my 6th season! I will post a photo of the hatchlings when and if they hatch.

~Tim~

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths