SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Unusual number of dead birds this year

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

Anyone experiencing more than usual bird casualties this year? And I'm not talking from predators such as cats or hawk. I first noticed this in early Spring with sparrows being so vicious to each other. Chasing, harassing, literally ganging up on both males and females. One of the most horrific scenes I came upon was a sparrow with it's head sticking out of a birdhouse - it's head had been pecked apart! I found some laying on the ground with similar injuries. Now I'm finding bigger birds like grackles laying in the yard sometimes with no visible wounds. So far I've found three. These bigger birds are fighting as well, from one end of the maple tree to the other. I saw one so stressed from being chased, that its bill was wide open as if trying to catch its breath. Are they stealing each other's eggs or young?

I was wondering. Do you think because of the weird Spring temps and so many bird species arriving earlier than usual, made food sources scarce? i.e. insects? or a shortage of nesting sites? I might add that this year I have seen more of a variety of song birds too and they are nesting. In Feb. I stop putting out birdseed, perhaps I shouldn't have and provided more food to help everyone get along. The neighbors have thistle seed feeders year-round, and they told me the other day that they are not seeing the number of finch like they normally have. Curious.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022