SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmarieok

A lost female and bullying behavior from new female

dmarieok
14 years ago

Hi everyone...just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen...I am almost 100% sure that I lost the first female who successfully fledged 5 chicks...Dad and Mom were feverishly feeding them, then all of the sudden, Dad started showing up alone or with them in tow and flying from a few blocks away...then a female shows up in my yard without a male in tow but she doesn't know how to negotiate the mealworm feeder and at first Dad is shooing her away from both the box and the feeder...then I see her alone for awhile. Next Dad and her I guess go through mating ritual and Dad stops being as worn out from feeding four (not sure what happened to the 5th fledgling)...and this new female is building again...

Now yesterday, I saw the female get a little nasty with the fledglings if she wanted to eat...she would shoo them away even to the point of taking them to the ground and she has never fed one of them...I am hoping she will not harm them and that eventually she will settle down and allow them to feed at the same time she does...

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen????

Diane

Comments (2)