SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldfinchguy

House finches nesting

GoldfinchGuy
11 years ago

As I opened the back door the other morning to let my dog out I noticed that a pair of house finches had begun building a nest under the balcony which is just above the back door. It is rather interesting to watch the male perch on a nearby hanging basket and keep a wary eye out as the female gets every piece of material in place exactly the way she wants it.

I honestly don't mind this at all-any native bird is more than welcome to nest on my property-, however it is a high traffic area. My wife, my dog and myself are walking in and out through the door throughout the day. My concern is whether or not any chicks that hatch would get spooked and jump from the nest or fledge early. It is a seven foot drop to the concrete below. Should I remove the nest, or leave it? Last year I had to stop some robins from building a nest on a light fixture which is also right nest to the door as they started getting rather testy whenever we going in and out. Also, I know it is illegal to remove eggs which belong to native birds, but is it illegal to remove uncompleted nests?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH