SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddot_gw

Quick! Egg out of unknown nest!

ddot
15 years ago

Hello,

I need some help! I have a large desert patch of ground that I tilled and watered to plant my spring garden. It doesn't have any vegetation in it right now at all. I went in to have lunch, 2hrs later went back to start gardening when I found an egg in the huge patch that I had cleared earlier. It wasn't under cover. It was completely out in the open. I thought that it had fallen out of a tree nearby, but I couldn't find a nest. I thought that maybe it is a Mountain Quail egg... but it wasn't in a ground nest nor under protective cover. I waited and watched for another 3hrs, not touching the egg and no bird came back to it. I've since picked it up and it was quite cold at outdoor temp of 58 F. So, I'm trying to warm it up to around 100 F as body temp of birds. It is a heavy egg for it's size of 1 and 1/8th inch. And, it is not broken. What should I do, am I too late? I do not have any hatching equipment. I am using a crude desk lamp. I'm probably really stupid to try to save this egg, but for some reason I just couldn't give it up to the cold night. So, now does anybody have any advice on how to get it to hatch? How do I know if its too late...besides smell in a few days?

I really appreciate any help that is offered!

Thank you!

-ddot

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!