SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Father blue is MIA!!! 14 day old babies

ohsoblue77
11 years ago

Once again, things have turned for the worst.

Approaching the box today Mrs. Blue flew out with what looked like a fecal sack. Upon watching the nestbox this morning for around 30-45 minutes, barely any activity was at the nestbox front.

I became suspicious, but noticed when normally reaching the box both parents would dive at me, only the mother was present. I sat around a little while longer with no further sightings. I had to work from 10 am - 6 this evening.

This time I went directly to the box, and yet again only Mrs. blue was there.

I can now presume I have lost father blue for good :(

Based on Sialis, I nervously and carefully opened the box to check on the youngin. All 5 are still alive and no fecal sacks were present in the box that I could see.

Everything was going just fine up until today. Last evening into the night we had severe storms and damaging winds. The flowers around the house were blown all over the place.

What seems worse is that the next two days temps are forecasted from 90-92.

This is the 1st time I've lost a male blubird. I've had several females lost and was unlucky enough to witness one taken by a hawk. My neighbor trapped a female in his martin housing one year and she starved to death. Last season I believe it was, the male was raising 3 nestlings on his own, despite the female being present for much of the time. (getting hard to remember now)

I do not usually feed mealworms, but I helped the male one year by tacking a mini container with waxworms to the top of the box. He immediately used them up for the young.

So, what to do? Hope Mrs. Blue can raise these guys? The weather will be warm so insect population should be plentiful. Since they are 14 days old, they can assumingly fledge as soon as 3 days from now. 5 mouths to feed is a lot! Can anyone please fill me in...have you ever had a male go disappearing? I think I may have possibly had the same male for the past 6 seasons, so if it was, his time was probably running out anyhow. She sits in the trees behind the box and gives the chit-chit ing while also giving song notes. What are the chances of her getting a new mate? This is all new to me, as again, this is the 1st male I've ever lost. I was beginning to think of the 2nd brood, but who even knows it that'll happen, let alone this brood all survive and fledge. Why must something ALWAYS have to go wrong EVERY dang season!! This is frustrating. I HATE this neighborhood...

~Tim~

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery