SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Another ID of hawk with prey

I was getting lunch for myself and glancing out the kitchen window at the Red-winged Blackbirds having their lunch, when a hawk pounced on one of the red-wings. I guess it was lunchtime for everyone.

I know what the prey is (Red-winged Blackbird) but I'm not sure of the hawk. An Accipiter, certainly, but which one? I almost always see Cooper's Hawks here, recently one large adult and a medium-sized juvenile. This hawk is smaller than the big one but could be a male Cooper's. Normally I would say, oh, another juvenile Cooper's, but a few things bother me:

1. The streaking on the breast is much thicker than usual and seems to go all the way down to the legs.

2. The cap is dark and there doesn't seem to be much of a light patch at the nape.

3. The legs may be a bit on the skinny side.

4. The size is maybe consistent with a honking big female Sharp-shinned Hawk (juvenile).

I took twelve photos out my windows before the hawk flew away (I was kind of hoping the red-wing would escape but it didn't). Here are some of the photos, the rest are in my Flickr account - I have a Hawks set now.

Back of the head again.

The hawk dragged the red-wing a few feet to the bluestone path and looked around.

Back of the head again- this was the last pic before the hawk flew off with its prey.

Claire

Comments (12)