SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

mid-season report card

njitgrad
10 years ago

Here is a mid-season report card for my tomato production.

I am curious to see how others did. Feel free to share!

Black Zebra Heirloom (A+) - late to ripen but they just keep coming and coming and coming....they're not very big but when my wife makes her tomato salad with fresh basil and balsamic vinegar....OMG....

Gardener's Delight Cherry Hybrid (A) - large cherry, constant work horse, 8 foot tall, very pleased with this fellow

Chadwick Cherry Hybrid (B+) - smaller cherry, a close competitor to my Gardener's Delight in terms of production, starting to fade from the scene due to yellowing of branches

Independence Day Hybrid (B+) - ripened later than expected but consistently picking 2-3 off my single plant daily, still looking very healthy

Black Krim Heirloom (B-) - first non-cherry to ripen, average production from the start but not growing as large as expected, will still get one here and there

Abe Lincoln Heirloom (B) - outperformed my expectations, may have earned another spot in next year's lineup

Better Boy Hybrid (C) - just not as much fruit as I expected from a hybrid

Pineapple Heirloom (C-) - large yummy yellow steak-like fruit, but not too many made it that large before I had to pick them

Better Bush Hybrid (D) - short foliage hides most fruit, which isn't really much to begin with

Super Steak Hybrid (F) - more like Super Fake, got 1 tomato off this plant

Next year I'll be trying out Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine, and the Ramapo F1 Hybrid.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus