SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidtigerfan

Mid summer report

davidtigerfan
13 years ago

Well here we are in July, which is about halfway through growing season for us in coastal SC, and I thought I'd let you guys know how my toms are doing. This year I've planted Black krim, Old German, Brandywine, Cherokee purple, and Roma. The Roma is the only non-heirloom that I have. So far I've fought off Blight, hornworms, and 100 degree heat. I've had a decent harvest so far, but it came more in a spurt. I had a bunch come in off the heirlooms, then I think that the heat caused alot of blossom drop. For the last 2 weeks I've only been able to get about a dozen heirlooms and probably 20 romas.

I've found though that my old germans (which I think were mislabeled, they are gold) are pithy and don't have much flavor. The romas are hard as a rock and very pithy as well. I've only gotten about 5 brandywines, but they were delicious. The Black krims are my favorite. Very tasty and plenty of tomato goo inside! :) My cherokee purple made 2 toms and now seems to have trouble setting fruit.

I'm happy though because at least the blight is under control. I'm hoping the next batch of toms will have more flavor all around. :)

Comments (5)