White Bluebird eggs

vince220

Last year I had a clutch of 5 white bluebird eggs in one of my boxes. This year, I have them again and in the same box. Based on the info I've read, the egg color is determined by the genetic makeup of the female. Apparently it's the same mama, and she is welcome anytime. Have any of you seen white bluebird eggs in your boxes?

Image link:

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vince220

Dang it! I forgot how to upload directly within the posted message. Would someone enlighten me, please?

Vince

Save    
kendra2003

I tried to put in the code to make your image show up here, but it gives me an error message that says that image is already posted on the forum. I'm not sure how to bypass that. What you need is the img src tag and beginning and ending brackets, plus quotation marks around the location. I know that won't make much sense, but try right clicking on someone else's image and click on properties. That should show you how to do it. Hope this helps. Really fascinating that you get the white eggs. Is that a Bluebird feather in there with them?

Save    
vince220

Thanks kendra2,
I got it now..must use the img src= tag. The photo has to be hosted on a server somewhere. I used my old photobucket acct to post this one.

I believe the feather is from a Blue Jay.

Save    
griffin_MD

I had a female that laid white eggs on one of my trails, Vince. She returned to the same 2 nestboxes for about 5 nesting seasons and would alternate her nestings between the two boxes. She almost always had 3 broods per season. Last year she didn't return and I assume she has died. The eggs were so pale, almost a light pink, and were beautiful.
Kathy

Save    
vince220

Hi Kathy,
She had 2 broods last year, 5 eggs in each. The first one was successful, although mama and papa had a difficult time getting one of the fledglings to leave the nest. Took them two days! The second brood was totally unsuccessful. We had very heavy and continuous rain for days during the incubation period. But none of the eggs hatched. Sad. I'm glad that she's back this year. Here's hoping....

Save    
fairychick

Interesting, and good to know.

The female we have this year is different from last year. She laid 5 eggs this first brood...and all are white. My husband was concerned that they might be bad, but all 5 hatched and seem perfectly healthy.

The last two years we've had multiple broods. If they try again it will be interesting to see if they are white as well.

tara

Save    
griffin_MD

If a female bluebird lays white eggs, she will always do so. It simply means her reproductive process lacks the ability to add color.

Kathy

Save    
Cheryl Thompson

I have white eggs this year! So excited! Initially I though a tree swallow had taken over the box, but there weas no feather lining. I was one confused girl! But saw the Dad bluebird going in and out. Confirmed white bluebird eggs!

Save    
melodeedolan

Several days ago, I had one blue egg in our bluebird box. Today I checked and there is one blue egg and one off white egg in the nest! No sign of the bluebirds except for the first day I checked, which is why I looked inside. Now I’m worried that I scared the parents away? Could there have been another bird that laid the second egg? The eggs are both the same size.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides How to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
Shop Houzz Shop Houzz: The Incredible Egg
By Houzz
Kick off your day with eggs and cheerful sunny-side-up accessories
See Products
Turquoise Robin's Egg Blue — Oh, What a Hue!
Breathtaking in its brightness or as soft as a sigh, robin's egg blue will make any room in your home soar
Full Story
MW Construction performs all types of construction from design-build to general contracting to construction... Read More