SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyjemima

One egg missing from nest?

LadyJemima
12 years ago

Hello everyone! I am a new bluebird enthusiast. I have been feeding birds in my yard for over three years (I'm sure my neighbors just love the growing collection of feeders) and have become more serious about the hobby over the past year. This spring I decided to put up a bluebird box, and was blessed with a pair of bluebird just a few days later!

I believe my bluebirds may be first-time nesters (laying fairly late in the season, and taking over 2 weeks to build their nest). I was thrilled when I checked the box on Wednesday and saw three beautiful blue eggs. Given that bluebirds usually lay one egg each day, the first egg would have been laid on Monday.

Today (Friday) I checked the nest again, expecting to see anywhere from 3-5 eggs. I was so disheartened to see only two eggs in the nest!

The box is not accessible to cats, raccoons, or snakes, so the egg was either taken by another bird or ejected by the parents. I do wonder if the egg that is missing might have been the "Monday egg" which I wonder did not survive the freak snowstorm of that day.

I saw Momma poking her head out of the box this morning but when I checked the nest several minutes ago, neither Momma or Papa was around.

I wondered what your thoughts might be about the missing egg?

Comment (1)