SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

portal protectors, predator guards and other q's for newbie

kimcoco
14 years ago

I mentioned in a previous post that I have a wren house that I plan to drill a wider hole (1.25 to 1.5 inches) to convert to a non-wren house (vacant for 3+ years, never occupied). Honestly, I have NO idea what type of bird I want to attract, but I read I don't want wrens.

Some questions...

If I expand the opening, is a wren house deep enough for other birds? If so, what size opening do I want, and really, what do I want to attract that is ideal for the depth of a wren house?

Are portal protectors / predator guards necessary? I was looking at the Bird Guardian (websites don't say the material of the Bird Guardian, but it looks plastic to me), and I read that metal protectors are better than plastic, but I can't find anything metal other than the flat plates. What do you recommend? We do have squirrels, and chicken hawks in the area.

I also read that "ladders" are necessary for the interior of the birdhouses, but I'm assuming this is possibly for blue jay houses as they are deeper than wren houses. ???Comments?

Comment (1)