SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

A Crazy Nesting Situation!

donnalovesblue
14 years ago

The Dees have been checking out a nestbox for the past two weeks or so. This particular box has been occupied by the blues for the 2 seasons, though I did have dees nest last year in another box. Mama and Daddy Blue have been investigating this box as well and they've stepped up their pace.

Yesterday, I discovered nesting material...just a few pieces of pine straw and some moss. I couldn't figure out who was building as I've not seen Mama Blue or a Dee take in material...but those Dees are pretty fast. Finally saw a Dee today take in nesting material while Mama and Daddy Blue were obviously on a brief break. The blues were in and out of this box all afternoon and seem confused. Mama Blue stayed in the box for quite a while, but didn't remove any of the nesting material.

Well, now I'M the one who's confused. The blues are not happy, but they haven't paid any attention to the other box that's vacant and waiting! Of course I'm delighted to have the Dees, but fear the blues will eventually move on somewhere else, since they know this isn't their nest.

Can any of you experts shed some light on this? It seems with every nesting, there is always something new to observe and this is a first for me. BTW, this nest is in the early stage. Thanks!

Donna

Comments (8)