SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Worst tomato year ever?

sue_ct
10 years ago

OK, it may still be a little early to make this determination. But its looking pretty bleak. According to my garden journal, on May 27, we were still getting night time temps in the 30s. I put them into the garden on May 28. Between May 28 and June 14 I got 9 inches of rain. We had a couple of weeks of dryer sunny weather but with temps shooting into the 90s. They actually looked like they might grow and recover enough to get a crop but here we go again, tornadoes (within a mile of my house) and more rain. An inch last week and over 2 inches yesterday.

Is there any way to save them from mother nature? I held off putting any mulch down to actually give them and the soil a little time to dry out a bit until 2 days ago, but the weeds were going to be problem so now I have wet soil with a straw/hay mulch on top. Other than losing a few lower leaves they don't seem to have any disease, they just haven't done much of anything. They are about 18-24 inches tall with a few flowers.

I had a few extra plants and put them into fabric pots a couple of weeks ago and they are bigger than the ones I put in the garden almost 6 weeks ago! I just got a few more fabric pots in that I ordered and will plant a few more left over ones in solo cups. But I am just wondering if I will end up getting anything out of them. It seems to be my only option left so I can more easily protect them into fall.

Hind site is best but I wish I had put down black plastic to keep some rain off the soil. Would that have mad it just roll off do you think? Could I have done something different that I can learn from and is there anything I should consider doing now?

Comments (36)