SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Crazy season so far!

ohsoblue77
12 years ago

Yesterday, I visited my other site with 2 boxes that are on a couple diff. properties. The week before, a HOSP was inside the entrance hole to one chirping away! I wasn't able to get him.

So when I returned yesterday, I set out my Van Ert. A bird that clearly LOOKED like a HOSP landed on the box and moved around like one too. At the same time, I was hearing HOSP vocalization. I watched the box. I heard it go off, thinking "YES!"

Upon further inspection, I found it was a female bluebird!! In my other box, I had a Van Ert set, and again heard the HOSP vocalizations. 2 birds were at it. 1 was trapped. I opened the box with bag, out flew another female bluebird! Turns out the HOSP left and there are 2 pairs at this site who were near each other at one box WITHOUT fighting. Despite the females being trapped, they promptly

returned to their boxes.

Here at home, I have 2 box pairs, and my TRES pairs just returned for the season. I have a Blue pair actively, slowly but surely building a nest. A male and female HOSP just showed up at the other pair, and TRES were harrasing them. Of course, at the same time, my Van Erts are set!

This is my first ever experience trapping bluebirds with the Van Ert. Contrary to what sialis says, both female bluebirds flew straight out INTO my mesh bag. I scurried them back in the boxes, removed the bag, and opened the doors. They exited immediately. Crazy stuff here! the Bluebirds appear in control, even at my second site, where there are many HOSP. Can't believe it.

~Tim~

Comment