SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdgator

Is it too late to prune vines?

sdgator
13 years ago

This is my first year really growing tomatoes, and I've made some mistakes, that hopefully y'all can help me mitigate somewhat.

I've got 12 indeterminate tomatoes planted in a grid pattern, about 3 feet apart (mistake #1?), up against a fence. The previous owner left a huge 10x20 raised garden box that I'm taking advantage of. The original plan was to prune them to single or dual stalks, but I wasn't able to bring myself to do that (mistake #2), and now they are way overgrown into each other and the rows in between. Here's the layout:

------------------

x x x x

x x x x

x x x x

Where "--" is Fence and "x" is a tomato plant.

They're all around 8 or 9 feet tall, and seem to be very happy. The only issue is, only the row of 4 the farthest away from the fence are producing tomatoes. They are producing a lot of great tomatoes, so that's good. The other 8 plants between the outer row and the fence aren't producing at all, even though some of non-producers are the same species as the producing plants.

I'm guessing there's not enough sunlight getting to them? If that is the case, is it too late to prune them back significantly so they can get more sunlight? What's the right way to prune them back, if that's the right thing to do? Actually, what IS the right thing to do here to salvage this year's non-producing plants?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery