SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dapjwy

mounting the boxes

dapjwy
16 years ago

This winter I noticed a male bluebird in my yard several times. I was thrilled to see it. I've only lived here for a few months and would like to set up some bluebird nesting boxes. The area is open with several varieties of fruiting trees and shrubs (I hope to add more).

My question:

Can I mount a box or two (spaced appropriately apart) on the side of my barn, facing into the open field? Mounting them on the fence posts doesn't seem safe--I'm not sure, but I'll assume raccoons or other predators frequent the yard.

Also, am I too late to put them up? It is almost mid-March.

Thank you,

David

Comments (27)

• dean4
    16 years ago

I suspect you will get a lot of replies from people much more qualified than me but I would recommend against putting them on the barn. Too easy for predators to get at (and they will). I would recommend mounting it on a 1/2 or 3/4" piece of metal conduit at a height you can still see in and monitor the nest. You can drive a piece of rebar into the ground a couple of feet and slide the conduit over it. You can use a conduit clamp to adjust the height if you want. Or just dig a 24" hole for the pipe. Also recommend an 8" X 24" piece of stovepipe with hardware clothe at the top, mounted so it will swing a little, just below the nestbox to keep snakes and raccoons out. If you go to www.sialis.org, you can get all the info you need with links and "how too's" on everything to do with BBs. Bet has a great web site.
    If you are building your own nestbox, everyone is talking about how well they are doing with the Gilwood style. You can find links to many different plans at the web site I referred to.
    Be careful, you will get hooked on these BBs. I am setting in my FL Room watching my female build her first nest this year. Should have eggs soon (I hope).
    Hope this helps and welcome to the site.
    Dean - SE GA

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dean,

Thank you so much for you prompt response.

I know I'm supposed to mount them to a pole...I guess I wanted something that is more natural looking or something that blends in to the surroundings (hence the idea of the barn).

I went outside this morning and found what I think are raccoon footprints in the silt along a stream, so, I guess I'd better do what I have to to keep the birds safe.

I'll check out the site you suggested. It sounds great! I was toying with the idea of making my own boxes...but, I feel like I'm running out of time.

Thanks again,

David

• Related Discussions

Heavy duty steel chain/bolt mounted utility/weight box for Sears

Q

Comments (1)
    dot
    ...See More

Very Waterproof Deck mounted Elect Box

Q

Comments (2)
    Do Not Place Electrical boxes flush with the decking. J.
    ...See More

Putting range hood wiring in a surface mount electrical box?

Q

Comments (28)
    With all due respect, we *did* call Kobe (as noted above), and the tech representative they directed us to confirmed what our electrician told us. Possibly he was wrong, or they've since changed it. However, Kobe also provides a very detailed list of parts and packages in their manual, all of which were present and accounted for---and when we talked to the tech guy, he didn't mention any extra parts they'd forgotten to list in the manual, so I highly doubt the issue was that we threw away an unlisted part that would have resolved the problem. We knew that the hood cable was coming out of the internal wiring box on our model (as noted above!), since it's clearly listed and illustrated in the hood technical diagrams, but per Kobe the internal wiring box on our hood was not designed to serve as a junction box between the two cables nor was it designed to be accessed by the consumer. So if that's the box and clamp you're talking about, it is a wiring box that is there to bring the hood wiring together, not a junction box to connect this wiring to a house line. I'm curious to hear how you ended up installing it, though, if you did end up connecting the two cables inside of the internal wiring box. (We did not go that route because Kobe was clear that it would void the warranty on the hood if we opened the wiring box to thread an additional cable into it.) At any rate, our problem has long since been resolved to everyone's satisfaction, the project has been finaled, and we like the hood (and its electricity) very much!
    ...See More

need advice for outdoor mounting of boxes

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello, I make no comments about code. But in that link you supplied, that is very close to what I did. Only difference is I used a 2-gang box (same brand, same plastic cover box), and installed a timer in one side and then a GFCI plug on the other side (better safe than sorry). I also installed strain relief in the back of the box, incase someone in the crawlspace decides to yank on the wire for whatever reason. Just a simple romex clamp. Great for Christmas lights. I siliconed the heck out of the top and sides of the box as well as a smattering on the back of the box before putting in the screws during installation and was good to go. My house is stucco though, so insect intrusion is not really a concern. Good luck to you.
    ...See More
  • lisa11310
    16 years ago

Dean you did a great job! David...welcome to the very addictive world of Bluebirding!

• dean4
    16 years ago

David - You'll find the plans for nest boxes on Bet's web site are excellent and are designed to be cut and assembled quick and easily. You'll have one up in no time.

Lisa - Thanks

Dean

• okayebay
    16 years ago

Lots of BB houses on ebay but I bet mine are built better:) --- You can see lots of pictures in the link to one of my old ebay auctionsHERE, it might have been listed too early.

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome and information.

I have been a member of Gardenweb's Native Plant Forum for many years, but have only become active again after finally buying a house and yard that allows me to begin making my dream a reality.

I have a book on bluebirds...and years ago did some research for an oil painting of bluebirds. I took a picture of a purple finch in flight coming to my feeder and, later, did a preliminary drawing changing the shape of the beak, tail feathers, and coloring. I finally saw my first live bluebird the day I started my painting. It was not until I bought my house just 4 months ago that I saw the second bluebird of my life!

I'd really like to set up several boxes but, I have to admit that I don't like the look of the house on a post. I'd love to have something more aesthetically pleasing. My bluebird painting shows the pair at a nesting hole in a natural snag.

I'll probably be stuck with a pole with predator guard, but can anyone make a suggestion for something more natural looking?

Thanks again,

David

• geebeekc
    16 years ago

David,
    I understand exactly the look you are trying for. I felt the same way. I wanted a beautiful little bird house on a natural post surrounded by wild flowers. Just like a picture I saw in a magazine. But you will soon discover that if you are going to encourage blue birds to nest in your yard, it is a responsibility to keep them as safe as possible. Once you have seen a nest destroyed by predators (snakes, racoons & house sparrows) you will agree it is not worth it to have a beautiful, natural setting. Nature can be ugly sometimes. I've seen the damage racoons & house sparrows can do and my sister encountered snakes. All were tragic, horrible events. My only suggestion, if you want to have the pretty, natural look would be to set it up the way you want it to look to be decorative, but then just paint an opening and not really have it be usuable. Have it for decoration only. The black stovepipe baffle is ugly. The sparrow spooker certainly doesn't look pretty or natural. But my precious baby bluebirds are safe and everyone here has had many successful nestings because of the precautions they take. We really are not extreme nuts (well, yes, I guess we are) but it is for a reason.
    Gloria-KC

• bluebars
    16 years ago

I remember someone on the forum painted their raccoon baffle with morning glory vines. I bet you could do that! (I couldn't--no talent in that area.) And the best part is that your morning glories will always be blooming!

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It took me a while to update you all, but here goes: I just bought a second box today and put it up. I can view this one from my kitchen window--well, with binoculars if I really want to see anything. It doesn't stand out much and, if I can get used to the telephone poles in my yard, I guess I can handle this.

I've always wanted to make a house that looks like a natural snag...but, I've never taken the time to figure out exactly how that would work.

Well, I checked the first box and saw a few pieces of grass at the bottom. I've been away on the weekends and haven't had much time to watch, but, I did see the male bluebird in the yard again last week. However, the week before I also saw a chickadee exploring the house.

I'll try to write another update if something exciting happens.

Thanks again,

David

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was away for two weekends in a row, so, I've not really been able to see the daily activity. However, I did see the male bluebird sitting atop the house periodically. Seeing him there and then noticing pieces of grass sticking out the sides convinced me that he was building a nest.

After a few days of not seeing him, I began to wonder.
    I hated to open the box to check, but I did. There was just the the beginning of a nest. In all of this time, I realized I had never seen a female.

I'd say it has stretched to almost 2 weeks of not seeing him now.

I am in Northeastern PA is there any chance that they are just not ready to nest--or that he has not yet found a mate?

David

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

It might still be to cold there. My female has taken over a month to make her nest. I still don't think she's done! LOL... And its warm here, soooo. The first nest of the season can be slow. The female will usually dive into the hole pretty fast so if you don't just sit and watch you may miss her, they can be speedy. Papa usually hangs around outside guarding the place, so you will see him. Unless you have one like Kathi (Bonkers for blues), her male enjoys rearranging the nesting material so you might see him in there too ;-) I usually notice a lot of activity in the mornings between 8-10 am. Thanks for the update. Hope all goes well.
    Bonnie

• bigmatt
    16 years ago

David
    If the bluebirds are puting grass inside the box I would say there is a female.Just as Bonnie says ,The best time to see activity is in the morning,Then you can be sure it is in fact a bluebird pair that is building in your box.(sometimes it hard to tell in the beginning)

Thanks
    Matt
    Baltimore MD

• bbcathy
    16 years ago

David She is there you are just not seeing her. Mine have been here for months and no nest yet. They have chosen their house and visit it every day but there is just a few pieces of grass. She will build it when she is good and ready.
    Cathy

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bonnie, Matt, Cathy,

I wanted to thank you all for your encouragement. I wish I could report that the blues are around and nesting, however, aside from one sighting about 10 days ago, I've seen none and no progress on the nest.

At the distance and being backlit, I wasn't even sure they were bluebirds. But, I shaded my eyes and am almost certain they were a pair of BB. I've pretty much resigned myself to not having them this year...but, I'm enjoying planting the property with some spicebush, winterberry holly, and various low-growing plants. I'm trying to improve the area without losing the open space. I'll continue to monitor the boxes and send an update if they do come back to nest.

So, one more question: Has anyone ever heard of chickadees nesting in a Rhododendron instead of a cavity? I see a nest in the Rhododendron, and have seen the chickadees among the branches pretty often. I've not actually seen them go to the nest but they are definitely excited about something there.

Thanks,

David

• bbcathy
    16 years ago

I'm sorry David, I'm sure you will get blues sometime soon. Maybe a second nesting. If not leave up your box or boxes because as they migrate the blues will find your boxes in the fall and return to nest in the spring or they may use them as roosting boxes in the winter. I see lots of blues around here in the fall and some in the winter. I have never heard of Dees nesting outside of a cavity. Maybe you will get some nice Dees or other cavity nesters in one of your boxes.
    Good Luck
    Cathy

• mulchmamma
    16 years ago

Even if you don't get BBs this year (which is doubtful), your building habitat is more important for their year round well being. The ones you saw are just scoping out your property-they will be back, the picky little buggers.

Linda

• green_t
    16 years ago

David,
    Last year a pair only started nesting in my yard (northern VA) at the end of May! I'm not sure, but this may have been their 2nd brood. Sadly, I lost the eggs mid-June to predation (box mounted to tree), but the pair was determined and started nestbuilding again in another box on my property at the end of June. Be patient and don't give up hope yet!

A suggestion to help your pole & baffle blend in better- if you look in the spray paint section of Lowe's or Home Depot, you'll see some kinds that are multicolor or textured. Rust-oleum makes some good ones in dark brown and a nice "stone simulating" kind that is dark green with black & brown sandy flecks. Why not spray the ugly black poles & stovepipe baffles down with this? Of course, just make sure the texture or coating you put on doesn't make it easy for a predator to grip & climb the pole. Maybe if you find the painted pole & guard less offensive-looking you can put up more boxes. Good luck!

Tracey

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another update:

So far, the one box is now inhabited by Chickadees :) and for the past few days I've witnessed some Tree Swallows exploring and taking grass into the 2nd box. I'm happy to have them both.

I am very eager to improve the yard; I've dreamed of restoring native plants to my yard since my late teens. After 20 years, I've finally been able to begin after buying a house and land. Recently, I've added some Black Gum trees--however, They are only about 2 feet tall at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am already considering adding another box.

David

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, and BTW, I still haven't figured out what the chickadees were doing in the Rhododendron. The nest that is there seems unoccupied. Maybe it is an old nest. When I first noticed it , I assumed we'd have Robins. But, the only bird that I saw flying in and out was the Chickadee.

I thought they were exclusively cavity nesters, but I've never actually witnessed them nesting before.

David

• bbcathy
    16 years ago

Congrats David I'm thrilled for you. I'm hoping that your box is is out in the open as native House Wrens can cause problems for all other native cavity nesters. They prefer boxes near brushy areas. I have never been lucky enough to host dees myself but the Tree Swallows are just delightful.
    Keep us posted
    Cathy

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cathy (and all),

Thanks. The boxes are out in the open for the most part. This is my first time for tree sparrows and chickadees alike.

Here is my update:

I believe I had two successful nestings. I watched the chickadee take small green catepillars to her (or his) nestlings several times. She let me get pretty close---I happened to be standing pretty close and that is when I notice her in a blueberry bush.

Several times I saw the tree sparrows flying in and out of their box. I was not sure when they laid eggs or how old the nestlings were, so, I never actually opened the box after first observing the nests (chickadee and tree sparrow in seperate boxes, of course. :))

I was out of town for a few days so I didn't get to see any of them fledge. I did, however, open the boxes after a reasonable amount of time to be sure they were not still inside. Both boxes were empty which was a relief to me. I was a bit concerned about the chicadee's nestbox because it was in more sun than I realized and we had a few days in the 90s.

I cleaned out the chicadee nest---very easy with a stick. Not very messy. I dumped the mostly moss nest onto a bare spot and pressed the moss into the ground. It was green and seems to be taking over now.

The tree sparrow nest was much messier and I cleaned it out, wiped it down with bleach solution and rinsed it well.

Now for the best part: I moved the chickadee's box to a more shaded location and shortly after have a wren of some kind---possibly house wren.--It is a native bird and has caused no problems yet. At first I thought it was just filling the box with sticks to keep other birds out, but it does seem to be nesting there. It has left the other box empty.

So, after a week or so of monitoring the second box and always finding it empty, I was suprised to see a full nest in it today. No eggs yet. I had to share the news and asked my partner to come out to see the nest. Right before we starting the trek out to the box, we saw a bird fly in its direction. With the backlighting, I couldn't tell waht it was. He said he saw it fly from the lawn to the box. He was certain it was a bluebird. We walked out to the box and waited. We didn't want to open it while the bird was inside. It didn't take long for the male bluebird to fly out. Seeing is believing, I guess. I was thrilled to know that we now have a bluebird in the box.

I had to come right in and share it with the forum. Sorry I'm so long-winded!

David

• bbcathy
    15 years ago

David How THRILLING for you! Congrats on the other nests. You can and should monitor more frequently. If they encounter any problems then you can help. Now the bad part of your story. The wrens can cause a lot of problems for Blues and other cavity nesters. They are HIGHLY territorial and will poke holes in eggs and or throw nestlings out on the ground. I do not allow them to nest here but they are native birds and if they have eggs you must leave them alone. They prefer boxes near brushy areas so if we can we keep the boxes out in the open. How far apart are the 2 nest boxes?
    Cathy

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

~sigh~

Cathy, thank you for letting me know. Not good news, however, I hope the boxes are far enough apart. ~crossing my fingers~

The boxes are more than 100 ft. apart. Neither is in a shrubby area. I guess the box with the wrens is a bit closer to some shrubs than the other...but still about 80 ft away from a few elderberry bushes--maybe more.

I'm not always around to moniter the boxes. Earlier in the season I had even less time. I will moniter while I'm around...but, will be away again soon.

I planned on putting more boxes up eventually, in pairs about 15 ft apart (I have to double check the distance). I understand that tree sparrows will not nest that close to each other which will leave the second box for a potential bluebird.

So far, the wren seems to have totally ignored the other box. (From my limited observations)

So far, I've not actually identified the wren. I have only seen it at a distance. Are all wrens that territorial? (or are they the only species of wren that is a cavity nester?)

Thanks for the advice,

David

• bbcathy
    15 years ago

David House Wrens are the only wrens that are territorial and destructive to other birds nests. I know you meant Tree Swallows not tree sparrows. We definitely don't want house sparrows either. House sparrows are very dangerous to eggs babies and even the adult cavity nesters. They will kill them. As soon as you have time you need to check out our favorite website. All the info you will ever need is on here and of course we will always be glad to help too. Thanks for updating.
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: sialis

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cathy,

Yes, I did mean tree swallows! I didn't even catch that when I was proof-reading.

Last night I did a search on wrens. One of the sites that came up was the sialis site. I read up on the house wrens and must say it is discouraging. I have to finish reading the suggestions to deter them.

This morning I got out two of my bird books. I have to get a close look at the wren to get a final ID. I'm doubtful but hopeful that it is one of the other species of wren.

I've only lived here for about 8 months. So far I don't see any house sparrows hanging around. I did see a few starlings for a day or two last month but luckily they seem to have passed on through. The diameter of the nestbox hole will keep them out...but, I still don't even want them in my yard!

I plan to convert my 2 acres into a native landscape--which I know will take time. I'm doing it because of my love for native plants and natural habitats. However, I'm hoping that getting rid of the mostly European weeds will give the European starlings less of their prefered food and habitat.

David

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also I wanted to mention that I've only seen the male bluebird so far. Would he build a full nest before he finds a mate? I'm hoping she is around and I have just not yet seen her.

He seems to be getting used to my being around. Last time I went out to open the box he left when he saw me coming.

• dapjwy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Correction: I just saw the pair together. I went outside and they flew from a tree near the house to a telephone wire near the nestbox. ~smile~ I'm happy to know I have a pair. (now I'm just concerned about the wren)