SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pisces7386

yellow lower leaves?!

pisces7386
12 years ago

I have my very first tomato plants this year, two varieties of cherry tomatoes. they have been growing great! My first tomato is almost ripe on one of the two plants :) Now all of a sudden this weekend the plant with the almost ripe tomato started to turn yellow on the bottom leaves/leaf branches. They don't seem to have any spots.. they are turning yellow on the north side of the branch first and only two of the 33 affected leaves have small dark spots. Each of those two leaves has one dark spot right on the edge.

The plants are each in one of those long rectangular home depot patio containers with 2 basil plants and a pepper and either cilantro or parsley (they are a little tight on space, but what can say, I just couldn't help myself). I have had to water them only once since I planted them a month and a half ago because we have had so much rain. I did have my boyfriend drill extra holes in the bottom of the containers for more drainage and I used scotts vegetable potting mix with fertilizer (It seemed a little heavy to me, but I am used to making potting mix for african violets).

I saw some posts about over watering or early blight causing the yellowing? Would there be more spots if it is early blight? I am praying someone can tell me that it is probably just over watering!

What do y'all think? In a frenzied terror I have ripped off all the yellowing branches already and I just have to charge my camera battery before I can upload some pictures of the leaves.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!