SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ardnek710

Frustrated Tomato Lover (with pics)

ardnek710
16 years ago

Hello, all. I have learned soo much from this forum about growing tomatos that it makes my head spin...LOL I still have some very frustrating things that continue to happen to my mater plants every year. I know that I have a horrible spider mite problem that I continually try new ways to get rid of them, but in St.Louis we have hot and dry conditions and they are thriving.

Besides that I have some unknown wilts that crop up every year. I have pored over the tomato problem solver and googled every term I can think of and still have no answers to these plants behavior. Generally speaking, one branch or stem will start to wilt without obvious reason and soon the whole stem will wilt. Then they turn brown and crispy and die. Or instead of wilt I will get part of the plant will turn bright yellow and a little wilty and then soon the whole plant will follow. It doesn't seem to matter if they are grown from seed or from nursery transplants and we grow both in pots and in the ground with no obvious distinction between the two as far as the plants health goes.

This year I tried manyel, azoycha, granny smith, green zebra, siberian, silvery fir, and old brooks. The only plants remaining out of 22 are one of each of the manyels (which are valianlty fighting spider mites), the azoycha (which have the yellowing and wilting problem), the green zebra (which has the crispy brown and wilting problem), and the old brooks (which are looking suprisingly well ...LOL)

I know that my garden can't be all that bad because I can grew peppers blindfolded with three hands tied behind my back...;)LOL and other things do fabulously, but the maters have me beat...:)

I would like to ask you all to look at these pics and give me some insight into where I should look next, if possible.

I thank you in advance..

kendra

1. Brown and Crispy Green Zebra

{{gwi:1372578}}

2.Azoycha with early yellowing, pic taken one week ago when yellowing started

{{gwi:1372579}}

{{gwi:1372580}}

{{gwi:1372581}}

3.Same Azoycha today, more extensive yellowing and wilt starting at top of plant

{{gwi:1372582}}

{{gwi:1372583}}

{{gwi:1372585}}

4.General plants with wilting up one stem

{{gwi:1372587}}

{{gwi:1372588}}

{{gwi:1372590}}

{{gwi:1372592}}

{{gwi:1372594}}

{{gwi:1372596}}

Comments (28)

Sponsored