Grubs.........Milky Spore question...
20 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (35)
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
Related Discussions
Milky Spore application question
Comments (4)Bart: I said I happened to do it in July on my son's place, but that was accident not choice. Earlier is better. If your bag says to do it three consecutive times - once in spring, summer and fall, that is different than the stuff I used. I don't know why they would say that; this should be a one-application product, if done properly. But you can do it any time during the summer. Don't make it more complicated than it really is. I applied it throughout the vegetable garden and all the beds. Obviously, I don't think there is the slightest risk of harm, but you may be able to search out other opinions. Check out yardiac.com for good prices on the pure spore, not the dilute stuff intended for spreader application. In larger quantities it gets a lot cheaper. I don't know how you would apply it to many acres but you may be able to mix it with an inert ingredient like lime and spread it that way. It will be a lot cheaper if you start with the pure product and mix it with something yourself. Sort of like combination fruit tree sprays; you end up paying about ten times as much for the same amount of chemical if you bought them separately. If you are going to limit application, starting under the trees or plants you wish to protect sounds reasonable. Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA...See MoreEffectiveness of granular Milky Spore compared to sponge/liquid?
Comments (5)So I ended up doing the application tonight. We've had almost no rain and there is none in the forecast for the next week and it's the perfect time of year for this application. I stripped down to my shorts and wore flip-flops, put on some gloves and wore a dust-mask. I figure the main danger (even though non-toxic supposedly) is inhalation but other than that I wanted to be able to hose off and contaminate the least amount of clothing (I have a wife and 2 kids, one is a 2-month old). I wear glasses but didn't put on sealed goggles, so made sure to stay upwind at all times. Again probably overkill but better safe.... Grabbed an old plastic teaspoon measuring spoon and a 3 1/2ft section of gutter to use as a guide. I put the teaspoons of powder evenly spaced out with the guide and then hand-watered the lawn focusing on the white spots until they were gone. You get a bit of loss when the water first hits the spots and it goes into the air but I'm assuming it's a very small percentage. All in all it was an easy but somewhat tedious job. I had read a lot of bad things about the overpriced and junk applicator so the hand method was definitely more back-breaking and time-consuming. But it was free and worked well. Thanks for everyone's help and hopefully I can report back next season and find some milky grubs underneath the soil....See MoreBest time to use Milky Spore?
Comments (9)I copied and pasted the FAQ here for those who don't want to go to the FAQ webpage. BTW, Many questions can be answered simply by Googling. MILKY SPORE Frequently Asked Questions: . 1. How fast does the Spore work and how long does it last? Milky Spore begins working as soon as it is applied as long as grubs are feeding. Once grubs are infected they will multiply the Spore by several billion times and spread it further. In warm climates good control can occur in one to three years. In colder areas like New England, three to five years. Once established in a lawn, Milky Spore has been known to last 15 to 20 years. 2. Will freezing ruin the Spore? What about heavy rain? No, Milky Spore is not affected by freezing or other adverse environmental conditions. Heavy rain may wash away newly applied Spore dust necessitating retreatment. 3. Will fertilizer or chemical pesticides that have dursban and diazinon in them affect Spore? Dursban and diazinon have been banned by the EPA as toxic to the environment. Milky Spore is safe for the environment and is not affected by pesticides, fungicides or herbicides. They may be applied at the same time. 4. Can I use it in the vegetable garden? Yes, Milky Spore is harmless to food crops. It is not a chemical pesticide. It may be used in gardens, around pools and wells. 5. Should we keep our pets off the lawn? Milky Spore does not affect pets, beneficial insects, fish, bees, birds, other animals, plants, or man. It is not a poison. 6. Can I mix the Spore with water and spray it? Neither the Milky Spore powder nor the Milky Spore Spreader mix should be mixed with water and sprayed. 7. Can I cut my grass after applying the Spore? Do not mow or rake your yard until Milky Spore has been soaked into the soil. 8. What if I treat my yard and my neighbor doesnt? Your lawn will be protected even if you are surrounded by untreated property. Eventually, the Spore will creep next door into adjacent areas by natural movement. 9. WonÂt beetles fly in from my neighborÂs yard? An adult beetle feeds only during itÂs first two weeks. By the time they fly in from adjacent areas, any new grubs laid in late Summer will be affected by the Spore. 10. What about Moles? Eliminating grubs with Milky Spore often cause Moles and Skunks to feed elsewhere. Unfortunately, they may head for your neighborÂs untreated yard instead. Milky Spore does not affect moles, it simply eliminates their food source. 11. Can I have too many grubs? If you are rapidly losing your lawn due to too many grubs, more than 10 per square foot, you may be wise to use an insecticide along with Milky Spore. 12. How do I know if I have beetle grubs? Grubs feed on the roots of your grass which can become brown and die. Simply lift the dead grass and look for white larvae curled into the shape of a "C" about the size of a penny. Active grubs can completely destroy a lawn. Use Milky Spore for safe, long-lasting control. 13. Do beetle larvae feed more aggressively in Fall? Yes, grubs in fall are in the first instar stage and are feeding for growth to store body fat for winter. In the spring, grubs reach 3rd instar prior to molting and do not require as much food. 14. Are grubs infected by Milky Spore in spring when rising to the surface following hibernation? Grubs become infected by swallowing a spore. They do not become infected by rubbing up against spores or passing through them. Since grubs feed less in Spring, the incidence of infection is not as great as in fall. 15. What are the application rates for Milky Spore? Milky Spore Powder in cans is a one time application put down in spots in measuring teaspoon amounts every four feet apart creating a checkerboard pattern of spots throughout your yard. Each spot contains 100 million spores. Milky Spore Spreader Mix in bags is applied with a drop spreader over every square foot of grass and requires applications in Spring, Summer and Fall for two years to build the number of spores in any one area to millions of spores. 16. Can I broadcast the Spreader mix? No, Milky Spore Spreader Mix is too light to be used with a broadcast spreader. It must be placed in concentrated areas on the lawn and that is why it must be used with a drop spreader. 17. Can I wait to water in the Spore? Yes, you can wait 36 to 48 hours before watering in the Spore. Make sure you water the Spore before raking or mowing your lawn. The whole idea is to soak the Spore into the soil where it will become available to grubs feeding on the roots of grass. Simply use an oscillating hose sprayer for 15 to 20 minutes over the entire treated area. There may still be some white residue but this is chalk used as carrier for the spores. 18. What is the difference between the Spreader mix and the powder? The main difference is that in using the six part spreader mix program you are essentially spreading the spore over an entire lawn rather than in concentrated areas. In doing this the number of spores in any one location is significantly less than the concentrated spot method. Grubs become infected by swallowing a spore and this occurs by happenstance when feeding on grass roots. The more spores in a given area, the greater chance for infection. Each infected grub dies and releases 3 billion new spores into the soil. How do I know if I have Japanese Beetle Grubs? St. Gabriel Laboratories provides a free grub analysis for itÂs customers. SEE MILKY SPORE MAIN PAGE FOR FULL INSTRUCTIONS ON SENDING IT TO US. 20. What is the shelf life of Milky Spore? The older the Spore, the more effective it becomes. 21. What if I get Milky Spore in my eyes? What if I breathe it in? Milky Spore itself is not toxic. However, Milky Spore contains chalk and a powder carrier. Care should be taken not to get any dust in one's eyes as it is an irritant....See MoreWhen do you spread Milky Spore??? NFT
Comments (8)I re-read the extension service monthly landscape message that Claire posted, and it mentioned that grubs will come closer to the surface after we get some drenching rains. This wasn't reported in the context of JB grubs and milky spore, but just white grubs in general and insecticides. I found a pretty good article on white grubs that indicates JBs are on the decline in CT. I know it's true in my garden, but I thought it was because I'd used MS a couple of years ago. Here is a link that might be useful: connecticut gardener - white grubs...See MoreRelated Professionals
Baltimore Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Raleigh Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Longview Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Brooklyn Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Toledo Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Enid Landscape Contractors · Austin Landscape Contractors · Galveston Landscape Contractors · Newport News Landscape Contractors · New Haven Landscape Contractors · Jackson Cabinets & Cabinetry · Philadelphia Cabinets & Cabinetry · Olean Cabinets & Cabinetry · Hobbs Cabinets & Cabinetry · Calgary Cabinets & Cabinetry- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
Related Stories

WINTER GARDENINGPruning Secrets for Exquisite Roses
Encourage gorgeous blooms year after year with this time-tested advice on how to prune your rosebush in winter for health and shape
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Stachys Officinalis ‘Hummelo’
The adaptable ‘Hummelo’ betony adds jolts of color to a sunny border or woodland edge
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESWhat Kind of Roses Should You Grow?
Want to add the beauty of roses to your garden? Find out which ones, from old-fashioned to modern, are right for you
Full StorySponsored
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions
charlene_kern_frontiernet_net