SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric_in_tn

Turning a small field into woodland

eric_in_tn
18 years ago

Just 2 days ago my wife & I bought 10 acres. We've been looking for the perfect piece of land for 8 years or so and have found it with this land. We are going to play on it and enjoy it with the kids for a few years, and then build when the kids are a little older and the building process won't be such a burden to them. The land is rolling hills, good soil with no rocks, and is roughly half wooded. The woods were logged a few years ago but not too agressively, and there are still some large Poplars and lots of immature trees. There are a few large pine and cedar trees but the wooded part of the property is dominated by Poplar.

There is one small field on the property (between the woods and a wooded fencerow) that we want to reclaim/turn back into woods. The field is covered with broomsage and briars right now. I was thinking of bushhogging the field and planting a mixture of White Pines, Poplars, and Cedars. Then keeping the space between them bushhogged until the trees were large enough to "win" out against the grasses and weeds. I feel like within 5 years this field would start to look like woods and maintain itself. Anyone have any advice on other trees to plant in this space, how far apart to space them, and other tips to turn this area back into woods as quickly as possible?

Thanks,

Eric

Comments (39)

Sponsored