SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathybru

Help with a woodland in NE PA

cathybru
16 years ago

My husband and I purchased a piece of land on which we plan to build our retirement home. We have nearly 28 acres, 10 acres are flat and have been used in the past as a horse pasture and hay field and had a few mobile homes as well. We would build on this front flat piece of land.

The rest of the property is gently sloping woods. This area has been completely neglected over the years and I would like to start bringing it back. I have found the remains of what looks like an apple orchard that is completely overgrown and there are tons of brush pile that the pheasant's are using for cover. I plan to put in some walking trails but would like to leave it as undisturbed as possible because there is a lot of wildlife living there. I have seen deer, fox, turkey, pheasant, peacocks (don't know where they came from!) and I know that there are occasionally bears in the area.

My first step will be to take out the massive amount of multi-flora rose that is choking everything else out. Right now we are only there occasionally as we are not yet retired and have not started to build.

I know that this will take a number of years to remove the invasives etc. and put the trails in a little at a time. Is there an ideal time to do this type of work and what other things should I be thinking about as I plan ahead? I'm worried that I might mess something up!

Cathy

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus