SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paddy_in_ireland

How to be honest, yet not hurtful

Paddy_in_Ireland
19 years ago

My thanks to all contributors as I have spent a very pleasant 30 minutes or so reading over the postings on this site.

Perhaps now I might be able to call on your collected experience and wisdom as I ask for some advice. I edit the newsletter of a garden society in Ireland; the circulation is about 750. I normally confine my own writing to a book review section but occasionally will write an account of a visit the group has made to some garden or other. This is where my writing problem arises.

You see it really and truly irks me to praise a garden that I consider to be below standard. However, as this may very well be the garden of a member of the society, who will be reading the account, it is very difficult to remain honest yet not hurt the feelings of the gardener who after all has been very kind to welcome the members into his/her garden and has probably provided refreshments for all and, no doubt,has spent many hours preparing the garden for the visit.

I know and have visited the gardens of several people who have the reputation within the garden society of being "great" gardeners and of having an "outstanding" garden. Yet when I have visited I have been disappointed for one reason or other.

How does one write an accurate and truthful account of such a garden visit without causing hurt?

Remember Ireland is a small country and the gardening community is smaller still, so that everyone seems to know everyone else.

Paddy

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!