SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosiercherokee

Sungold's Wild 'Splitting' Gene???

HoosierCheroKee
16 years ago

Okay ... I'm going to bounce this one off the wall, folks.

We've all seen post after post about how Sungold splits open when ripe. Complaints abound.

It must not be total fantasy since seed companies often compare other sweet gold cherries to Sungold then say, "but doesn't split as badly," or "is crack resistant," blah, blah, blah.

It seems some other cherries with the wild tomato characteristic of "ladder trusses" also split open when ripe.

Is there a consensus on that? Does anyone have extensive experience with wild type tomatoes and can tell us if splitting is typical?

I'm not talking about the radial cracks or concentric cracks you see in larger domesticated tomato varieties. Those seem confined to the upper areas of the tomato around the calyx. I'm talking about tomatoes that split wide open from stem to stern ... (the yellow ones in back are Chello to show not all the cherries cracked under identical conditions).

That's a handful of Indian Stripe x Sungold. I never had a Indian Stripe split open like that regardless of rain. Yeah ... they might have a few radial cracks like a Cherokee Purple will do. Or even an occasional random skin split ... but not anything radical. However, the Sungold I grew and used for this cross only split like this when dead ripe and hit with a heavy rain.

So, I'm assuming the radical bursting tendency exhibited by this Indian Stripe x Sungold comes from the Sungold parent. Is that fair to assume?

Now, look at the location of the splits ...

Every tomato split right in the seed locule, which of course would be the logical place to burst as it is the weakest point in the structure. But isn't that curious how it happens ... only one of the three locules bursts. Yeah, that releaves the pressure and allows the other two locules to remain intact. But isn't that curious from a natural point of view?

What I'm getting at is I think Nature works to burst one of the three seed locules to open the fruit to feeders who will carry seed away from the grow site (distribution to other potential sites) while spoiling the fruit by accelerating rapid decomposition (via fermentation, infestation, etc.) so that the remaining two seed cells rot and drop seed to the ground at the grow site (perpetuation at a known/suitable site).

With larger, domesticated tomatoes, this natural (and unappealing) tendency has been bred out. The wild structure of two or three relatively large and seedy locules have been modified by manmade selection to interior structures that withstand the natural tendency to split or burst like the more simply structured wild tomato.

But Nature prevails, it seems, when one crosses a domesticated "beefsteak" type (Indian Stripe) with a more "wild" structure (Sungold) and the bursting tendency dominates. Is that a fair assumption?

Bill

Comments (21)