SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
survivalgardener

End Rot On Roma Tomatoes

survivalgardener
10 years ago

This my first year gardening and I am attempting to do a large self watering container garden (about 30 containers and counting). A friend of mine who knows about gardening advised me on what soil mix and everything else to use (50/50 promix organic mix and peat moss with some worm castings added). Until a couple days ago things have been going great. I have been growing different types of peppers, carrots, onions, potatoes, and 7 different types of tomatoes (probably forgetting a few things here) all in different types of self watering containers (mostly 5 gallon).

Anyways as the title suggests I have noticed an end rot problem on my roma tomatoes. I am growing my romas in 18 gallon containers with 3 plants per container. Everything was going great with these plants too until a couple days ago when the temperature got up into the mid 90s. I put wood chips on top of the soil for all my plants to help retain moisture but I got so busy with other things the last couple weeks I didn't have time to put wood chips on top of the soil for the romas. Yesterday I noticed the top of my soil was dried out and some of my tomatoes had end rot on them. The leaves on some of the plants are wilting and a little burnt too. I looked closer today and it appears almost all of the tomatoes have end rot on them. The uploaded image shows what most of them look like. I am pretty sure I have narrowed the cause down to lack of water. I added wood chips to the soil today to help with that problem. Seems to be working for the rest of my plants.

From the reading I have done and what people have told me my best option is to remove all the bad tomatoes (almost all of them) from the plants. My question though is considering roma tomato plants are determinate will the plants still grow new tomatoes? They have a lot of flowers on them that haven't turned into tomatoes yet. I ask because I have a backup option if not. I started propagating quite a few cuttings from these plants a few weeks ago and I have a lot that are healthy and getting big. I could pull the plants I have in the containers I have now if they wont produce new tomatoes and start with some of the cuttings. The length of the growing season isn't an issue because we are working on a heated greenhouse that should be done before the first frost (that is why I am propagating so many clippings).

Another thing I am wondering about is what to do with the tomatoes I remove from my plants. They are all green tomatoes. The end rot is small enough where I can cut it off and eat most of the tomato. However I am going to have at least 15-20 of them and can't eat them all at once. None of them are quite full size but many are close. Does anyone know how to keep them good for a few weeks or a recipe that would use a lot of them at once? I would hate to let them go to waste.

Comments (10)