SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piratezeke

Too many tomatoes???

14 years ago

I'm new to the board.

This is the first time I've ever really tried to grow anything. My Mom was the family gardener and she passed away last year. In her honor I decided to keep the tradition going at my folks' home.

Now I realize I made a ton of mistakes this season (plants too close together, didn't start the seedlings probably as soon as I should etc)... But to this point (in spite of my ineptness) almost every plant has survived and is producing fruit. The end result is I have nearly 60 tomato plants (after giving away 20). Someone told me that I would be lucky with heirlooms to get 25% to grow. So I was figuring maybe 15-20 plants. In addition I have various cucumber, pepper and squash plants also coming in like mad (already had a half dozen cucumbers)...

What do people here do if they get flooded with fruit? We had more than enough with 12 plants last year - I thought with 15-20 I was pushing it... But 60?

Does anyone know of Farmers Markets in the Chicago area you can still get in? I'm not trying to make money, but after all the work I'd hate to see good fruit go to waste.

Just an FYI here are some of the varieties I'm growing:

Black Krim

Cherokee Purple

Orange Oxheart

Lemon Boy

Carbon

Gold Medal Yellow

Green Zebra

Black Ruffles

Ceylon

Ghost Cherry

Moonglow