SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dkgarber

embracing my woodland too late?

dkgarber
15 years ago

Hi all,

I cleared some diseased/dead/poison ivy infested trees from my back yard upon buying this house. In retrospect, I terribly regret that decision, as the tree guy went chop happy and I feel awful for not keeping some of the healthy trees...but I was obsessed w/a sun drenched yard. now, when I see trees being cut in my town, i cringe and feel sorry for them. I am now a tree fanatic!!

So, I do have a few large ones left although the area def gets more sun that it did before. I am now in the process of putting in some native shrubs to take up some of the room and to create a naturalized garden(viburnum, mountain laurel, blueberry). In the process, i've been "pulling weeds".

I am glad i discovered this forum b/c I am realizing many of the plants I am "pulling" are native little woodland plants! False Lilly of the Valley comes to mind as one I've been yanking. I promise to let the little things live!

I still have a wooded area abutting my "cleared" land--have I ruined my chances to have a nice naturalized garden? Or will nature forgive me and continue to send plants my way?

I certainly have a differenct perspective on gardening than i did only a few short years ago. What started as ornamental, neat, mulched beds has turned into naturalized, native, wildlife haven, woodland.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH