SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irma_stpete

Visiting WI in August 2011 - questions!

Irma_StPete
12 years ago

Hello Wisconsin Gardeners!

I am coming to Wisconsin for the first week in August (in & out of Madison). I've been trying to get some idea online what I will find. I live in Florida, where we have a very active Garden Web "Florida" forum year-round. I am amazed that activity on the WI forum ended in May. Can you tell me why? Is it that people are active on more specific forums - but why after that date? It appears to me from the web that August is about as "dead" a month as can be in WI...perhaps it is the hottest so very little is planned? (I'm sorry for the heat wave you are currently having - the weather reports look like those in FL on and off from June thru October - but we have air conditioning everywhere while I assume you do not. I am used to alternating every 15 minutes working in the yard and being inside in the AC.)

I found on the WI GW forum a list of gardens to visit - but it was from 2000. Madison's Olbrich Garden was described as "small" which is not what it seems to be on their website today - which, by the way, lists flowers "in bloom" through June but not beyond. Do not flowers bloom in July in Wisconsin?

1) What should I expect to see blooming in public gardens, on highways and byways, in private gardens? (Of course, I will surely visit a nursery for an overview with labels!)

2) What gardens within a 2-day drive of Madison do you recommend?

3) Also, I'm interested in historic buildings.

4) Thinking of visiting the Lunt's house - is the acreage there also of gardening interest?

5) I am thinking of going to the Dells for a Duck or dinner cruise ride - sounds like a way to cool off while seeing beautiful WI scenery. (Any advice?)

Thanks ever so much for your replies! They will have to be online, as GW still has my defunct work e-address (I'm retired now) and I cannot get their attention to change it.)

Irma in St. Petersburg, Florida

Comments (12)

Sponsored