SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homegardenpa

Black Tomatoes

homegardenpa
13 years ago

I was so eager to try some black tomatoes this season and, after much waiting, I'm going to have to say I'm a little disappointed so far. I don't know if it's soil, weather, etc., but I tried Black From Tula and Indian Stripe and while I got tons of tomatoes out of them so far they've practically been spitters.

They're not terrible per say, but they are about as bland as can be. I can detect a very, very slight sweetness to them, but overall I could do without them and wouldn't plan on growing them again. I never once picked out any hints of "smokey" or "salty" flavor. Just a very mild sweet taste which was not for me.

All of my other varieties, with 1 or 2 exceptions, are doing great. I've got some outstanding tasting tomatoes from Brandywine Sudduths, NAR, Marianna's Peace, Brandywine OTV, Red Brandywine, Rutgers, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Gold Medal, etc., etc., but Black from Tula was passable at best, and so far, Indian Stripe has turned out to be the same. Maybe it's my pallet, but so far others I've given them to also agree.

Is there some trick to growing black tomatoes that I'm missing out on? Does anyone else have a similar opinion. I've never read a negative review about black tomatoes on here and I'm just trying to figure out if I should grow them again, or if it's just a fluke.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals