SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msmity29

Too Late to Plant Trees?

msmity29
16 years ago

I have a couple of questions I am hoping I can get some advice on. I am purchasing a new lot in northern Wisconsin. However, we will not be closing on the lot until late in May (which I am assuming will be too late to plant trees/shrub). The lot in question is 5 acres. The front 1/2 to 1 acre along the road is cleared. We have been told by the developer that this open area is actually old stumps that were covered by dirt from the road excavation. Anyway, now there is grass and wildflowers growing in this area.

The rest of the lot is covered with birch and poplars with a few pines also present. The very back of the lot (maybe the back 1/2 acre) has wetlands on it. Overall, I am assuming the soil of the whole lot is sandy.

We would like to do a number of things with the lot:

1. Plant some trees/shrubs/bushes in the front area. We would like to keep some of the area open for the kids to play ball in etc but also would like some privacy from the road and to have more of a "North Woods" feel.

2. Supplement the existing trees with trees/bushes/shrubs that provide wildlife with food and cover and give the lot a more diverse feel.

3. Increase the overall value of the lot.

I have a number of questions associated with these goals.....Should we wait to plant trees/shrubs/bushes until fall? If so, is there anything we can do to prepare the lot (especially the front ares) for planting? Is it possible to start growing trees/shrubs /bushes from seed or bare root stock in pots now, and transplant in the fall?

We want to plant native species oftrees/bushes/shrubs as much as possible. As of right, some of the species we are contemplating planting are: American Bittersweet, Grape, Blackberry, Rhaspberry, Apple Tree, American Highbush Cranberry, Ninebark, Wild Rose, Black Cherry, Pin Cherry, Choke Cherry, American Mountain Elm, Eastern Serviceberry, Red Oak, Green Ash, White Ash, Yellow Birch, River Birch, Suager Maple, Red Maple, Willow, Balsam Fir, Northern White Cedar, Hemlock, White Pine, White Spruce and/or Tamarack. Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)

Sponsored