SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mschlee_gw

Best way to rehabilitate tree lined landscape

mschlee
13 years ago

Just bought a place on long island that has an acre lot with a tree lined perimeter. Tree lined area has been neglected for some 20 years and way overgrown with lots of dead trees (overcrowded) and vines choaking the life out of what is live (some vines are about3 inch thick and now look like trees themselves). I've chain sawed down the dead and unsafe/crooked trees and need some advice on the best way to prep the ground under the trees for planting some ground cover. The soil looks really rich due to all the tree debris (leaves have never been raked and lots of small branches etc decaying)

So my question is how do I get the ground ready to plant. It seems like there is a lot of rich compost potential if I just ran everything through a chipper/shreder, but I'm not sure a shredder would work well with all the moist, half composting leaves. I thought about just rotolitling the area, but concerned about all the tree roots and other debris jamming it up. Seems like a waste to pay to take it all to the dump and then have to add mulch back.

Insights would b much appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored