SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organicnoob

Tomato Help Please (pic)

organicnoob
14 years ago

It's been raining forever in my area and I think I have a disease on some of my tomato plants (Picture below). Some branches are worse, more yellow.

Last year I had issues with the tomatoes but it was much later. There was an alert by the local extension office about late blight coming early (people should pick better names for situations just like this :) but I don't think that's what it is.

It looks more like leaf spot which I believe is what I had in my lawn around that area or maybe powdery mildew which is also a problem on some nearby plants. During a break in the rain I noticed some small flies on some of the leaves that looked like whiteflies but they weren't white. Very small flies with big wings in a tent shape. Didn't do anything at the time about them since it was going to rain and there were none on the undersides of the leaves.

I treated the lawn with cornmeal and milk which took care of the disease in the lawn. Any recommendations on what I can do on the tomato plants?

I might have jumped the gun before asking for advice but this is what I did this morning:

Pruned off the diseased stems and threw them away. Cleaned the pruner in diluted bleach before and after.

Sprayed with diluted non-fat milk 3oz per gallon. The milk apparently is a germicide and there were some leaves that might have been showing signs of calcium deficiency. Never had blossom end rot but from what I understand the calcium is good for the plant's immune system. It works well on powdery mildew on some other plants.

Unfortunately it rained again today and the milk might have washed off the leaves too soon as well as the plants not having time to heal from the pruning.

I'm thinking of using corn meal around each plant. I also have a neem oil (K+ neem) and a product called Bio-Matrix from Organica which has some anti-fungal bacteria in it as well as humic acid, kelp amino acids, and fertilizer. Lsat year I tested out a product called Microbial Soil Conditioner, also from Organica, around three plants and they were the three plants that were the least affected. Unfortunately the place where I bought it from didn't have it in stock and I forgot about it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

{{gwi:1361230}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor