SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janbee_gw

Did tomato diseases come from the seed company?

janbee
13 years ago

I live in easternmost California in an arid climate with occasional winter snow, hot summers, and a growing season of about 150 days (USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 10). My small garden is three years old. I am growing tomatoes and other crops in raised beds. The soil in the beds came from a long-established grove of black locust. The first year, I put in Early Girl transplants from a reputable nursery and had no disease problems. The second year, I grew seven varieties of heirloom tomatoes from seed, all purchased from the same company. That year, my tomatoes had early yellowing of lower leaves that progressed up the stems. No plants actually died, but production of the worst-affected plants fell off to virtually nothing. This year, I am growing six other varieties of heirloom tomatoes with seed from the same company, and again the plants are diseased, some of them seriously. Symptoms on leaves include yellow blotches that turn brown; green leaves that curl up and die without blotching; yellowing. Different plants have different symptoms. I have not tried to identify the diseases.

I have just enough space to rotate tomato crops among beds each year, and that is what I have done. Both of my gardening neighbors have raised beds with soil from the same locust grove. Neither neighbor has problems with tomato diseases. Their seeds did not come from the same source as mine.

I wonder if the source of tomato diseases in my garden is the seed company from which I purchased my seeds. On their web page, they state that their seeds are organic and prepared by fermentation. The web page also says that they purchase no seeds from contract growers. This all sounds good, but I still wonder about seed-borne pathogens. I like this companyÂs philosophy and business practices, which is why I am reluctant to name them. Any thoughts from tomato experts out there? And how in the world can I get rid of these diseases now that I have them?

Jan

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer