SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
antman452

Conifer Cones

Antman452
11 years ago

Hi--It has been awhile since I last posted here so let me briefly introduce myself and describe my interests. I am trying to assemble as large a display collection of the cones of the conifers of the world as possible. With the help of a number of you I have about 250 species so far, out of the totals for the world as follows, so I have a LONG way to go.

8 Families, 70 Genera, 615 Species, 45 Sub-Species, 249 Varieties, 8420 Cultivars

For anyone interested, I offer a FREE Excel format Conifers of the World Checklist listing all of the above. Just send me an email for a free copy at:

RonMerchant45@yahoo.com

The main purpose of this email is to ask for help on solving a problem. As most of you know the cones of the Genus Abies (Firs) do not fall off the tree intact. Instead, they disintegrate leaving only the central rachis when they mature. Does anyone know of a way to collect these cones intact? If they are collected a week or 2 before they are fully ripe, will the stay together as they dry? I have no interest in the seeds, just the cones for display. Any suggestions are welcomed.

If any of you have access to varies species of conifers, especially non-US species and would be willing to collect 1-5 cones for me, please contact me at the email above. I would appreciate ANY help on my project.

Comments (15)

Sponsored