SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minneapolismike

Tomato plants aren't growing. Need help in short season MN.

minneapolismike
13 years ago

Happy fourth everyone. Here are the details, I hope someone can help my truly depressed friend- We grew all heirloom tomatoes, and I think the room was too hot as many were spindly. We each took about 15, and planted-relatively deeply- in our gardens. Soil was worked beforehand, and compost tilled in. His plants are still spindly, very few leaves and maybe 2-3 feet tall. Very few blossoms. My plants are very full, setting fruit and about 3-4 feet tall. He worries he won't get anything this year. It has been raining enough so far that we really havent had to water. Worth noting, his plants last year were fantastic in the same spots. Also, he bought a healthy looking Black Krim seedling, and it also doesn't look great.

The differences as I see them:

1. I planted May 28th, and hardened in pots for about 10 days. He went directly into the ground (Probably about May 16th).

2. I get a bit more sun, but his tomatoes get sun from about 10-4 he says.

3. Love brother. I visit my plants daily, he grows like a scientist.

Possible solutions:

1. Wait it out, and they'll recover. Perhaps the shock of no hardening plus spindly has slowed these plants down.

2. Take cuttings from some of my larger, fuller plants, put in a cup of water (I think), let the roots grow out and replace his plants.

3. Introduce him to model building, and put him on suicide watch til the temps drop again and we northerners go back inside and look at the tomato pics gardenweb.

Thank anyone who can give this some thought. MinneapolisRod is having a tough time.

Comments (4)