SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

UPDATE: Traveling Daylilies 6300!!

18 years ago

This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. We have the most awesome group of traders, proven, experienced, honest, giving, sharing and awesome loving people. The way into this group is to have traded and proven yourself honest. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

We are currently doing our November "thankful" swap.

I know what i'm thankful for........A NEW THREAD! lol

HUGS,

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Comments (104)

• 18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Barb-I went to Sara's site and prayed for her that God will heal her and take care of her. Then I found her print Heaven and Hell. What a gorgeous print. She definetely has a talent. I pray that your mind will ease during this difficult time also. Our children are so precious to us no matter what age.

Jo-I love that Autumn picture. Fall is my 2nd favorite season. Spring is first.

Nancy-So glad to see you post. Miss you over here. Do see your posts on Ya Ya's thread. Are you staying with the group next year? I noticed about half are.

Gloria-OK LMK exactly when. Hate all the neat places want have anything in bloom. Springvalley Nursery is to die for. Daylilies, daylilies and more daylilies. Yes we can save postage on our dahlia trade. If we think Dairy Queens chocolate covered cherry blizzard has too many calories we can always get the (((What was it? chocolate covered cherry breeze)))) with less calories. Did you call A&L Fantasy?

Shirley

• 18 years ago

Hi TD's!

I think I'll jump into thr Jan or Feb trade - we could have a Winter Blues swap and exchange blue stuff - that'd brighten up those midwinter days.

Thanks for your warm thoughts. You hold your tiny new child and you wish all things good and beautiful for her. When something bad happens, it's worse than if it happened to you. She's smart and strong; I believe she'll be fine. Her oncologist keeps testing other body parts and organs and it scares us to wonder what he is checking for. We'll have more facts soon and know for sure what we're dealing with.

Today was one of those dandy days when the sun shines and plants come! Bunches of hellebores from the bestest trader, Clematis 'Foxy' and C. vitalba - Traveller's Joy - from ChalkHill, and Heuchera 'Stormy Seas' and Heucherella 'Chocolate Lace' from ForestFarm. It was sooo cold planting them at dusk tonight.

Our woods all around us are like stained glass as the late day sun slants through. Everything is russet and golden and the sky is the deepest blue.

Just thinking about Anita'a greenhouse makes me smile! What an opportunity! Like SuperChristmas at their house. Such nifty extras too. I'll be watching for pictures as they start plants going in it - what a dream!

Welcome Paul and Annie! I'm new here too, and this is a friendly group with a great many daylilies!

So funny all of you going on so about Dairy Queen! When I was commuting a couple of hours to Ohio State some years ago I had a very bad experience with a Dairy Queen hot dog, so I tried their sloppy joe. Even worse! So no matter how tempting it looked driving by, I would tell my hungry self, "It's always a mistake to stop at a Dairy Queen." Ice cream cakes indeed! Then my daughter made me buy a Blizzard and I was converted. On the cold stuff anyway.

Shirley - I have Sara's Heaven and Hell print hanging above the aquarium - all the blues match - that's one of her most requested prints. That's really what she saw, too; she doesn't doctor them up in the photolab. Such a strange image!

We have 1 of her Myanmar series, too. I'm so amazed at what my kids are doing. Now we'll just see if we can get them all assembled at home for Christmas.

Winter is just over the next rise - mulch mulch mulch.

Barb

• Related Discussions

update: update: 10,700 traveling daylilies

Q

Comments (103)
    Hi everyone! Well the garden tour was Wednesday and last evening we got to tour all the other gardens on the tour. It was alot of fun once the major work was done! My DH said my gardens had never looked so good! I admit I did stress a little over the weeds! Now I can relax a little and enjoy the rest of summer! My DLs were just starting to bloom but the Asiatic and Oriental lilies were really putting on a show! I will post some pics of the tour soon. Shirley, I am glad to see the trade is still on and I am now ready! Melinda, I will be out of town starting on Friday, July 18-22 so lets just wait till after then to ship my trade, OK... unless it will get here before the 18th??? Ellen are you going to be away anytime? I am so ready to trade again!I have not done any this summer D/T the garden tour. Marea, I will email you soon about our pending hosta trade! Annette, Hope we can finish our Valentines trade now, too. We are going to the Lakehouse either today later or tomorrow. It is a nice get-away! I hate to complain but we could really use a good rain. Our corner of the state is about the only place in Iowa that was not hit with the flooding. Well back outside to pick out some plants to send to Ellen! Mary
    ...See More

UPDATE: 11,400 Traveling Daylilies

Q

Comments (100)
    Hi Everyone, We are back from our trip. It was fantastic. we had a blast. Melinda, I would love to trade with you sometime, I have a lot of dl's, but love other plants, and have many. Joy, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved kitty. we have had to do that a couple of times, one was with our very first dog my dh and i got. we had him for 18 years, it was very difficult. My heart goes out to you. Marea, Again, I am so sorry. They are family, and it hurts so much.Especially when you werent there with them. *hug* Nancy, So happy to hear that your surgery went well. Maybe you can watch someone else do the work in your gardens while you sit in the shade and relax and get better. =) Whoo hoo, I am trading with Jean. I will check your list, hope I have something on it. If not, I will send you a list of what i have, maybe you can find something. Also, I will check locally to see if there is anything i can purchase. I have a dl farm about 20 mins away. And several nurseries I have discovered in the last year. Debbie, What a great box of goodies. Marea, When do our boxes have to be sent. I may have missed it if you posted that. I am very excited to be back trading with you all again. We bought 6 blueberries, and 6 fruit trees, so got a lot of work ahead of us. Plus we have to finish our raised strawberry bed to get all our strawberry plants in. I also found a clematis I have been wanting. Fairydust!! It was the only one they had, and I nabbed it. Only $10 Got lots of cool projects planned for the garden this summer. I cant wait. hehehe Take care everyone, stay safe Hugs Jo
    ...See More

UPDATE: 11.500 Traveling Daylilies Posts

Q

Comments (116)
    Happy Fourth of July to my dear, old and new friends! I cannot begin to tell you how happy it has made me to read through this thread. I really needed the smiles. I'm not sure how many threads I've missed and I'm terribly sorry for being absent. Debbie, I am so sad to hear of your daughters dx. HUGS I'd like to talk to you via email and will send a note along soon. I had been hoping to get back here many times since the birth of my sweet boy 2 years ago, but life keeps getting in the way. My family is now in crisis once again and I ask for your thoughts and prayers. We really, really need them. I will send out a group email soon - hope I have all the correct addresses. Marea, 'Snazzy Memories' is in it's full glory - magnificent! We never got around to dividing it yet and the fans have grown into a nice clump at the entrance to my Sis' home. My little one is doing so well. How amazing to watch him grow and learn! He is a wonderful garden helper too! Loves to put the weeds in the wheelbarrow, and digging is his middle name. :) I lost my dear dog to old age - he was over 15 years old! He was laid to rest up on our Bluebird Hill. I sure do miss him. Our birds are doing well, but I know they miss us because we are always working. I can't wait until we get the house done and can spend more time with them again. We still haven't moved, but the house is coming along. I do have water now so that is wonderful. But only a hose- no luxuries such as a sink yet. Working on stoning our fireplace now. Electric is done. We have our insulation ready to put in after an inspection next week and then we can finally sheetrock. Still have to put in septic system as well as our furnace, but all ductwork is done. Kind of running out of money so things are slowing down. I did manage to put in a beautiful organic veggie garden w/ DH's help. It was supposed to be a temporary one but it turned out so nice I have to keep it. Daylilies are in full bloom here in Western PA and I think of you all when I step out the door and see all the color you have shared with me. HUGS, Dawn (mamabirrd)
    ...See More

UPDATE: Traveling daylilies 5500 send a daylily

Q

Comments (3)
    Earthly...I'm so glad you liked your box. Your thank you is so gracious, it makes me want to send you another box:~) We're down to the wire for our Sept. Swap: Here is the list: Gloria Marea JoAnn Debbie Maryanne Jean Mary S Ellen Carol Dianne Cindy O Shirley Susie Deni Jaye Carmen Dawn Sharon Sherry B Cathy Mary B. Cody Sherri R. Anita Have I forgotten anyone. If I don't hear from anyone else by tomorrow morning, this is the list I will give Gloria. This is 24 of our 34 members. I heard that Georgia has been hit by a tornado or tornados today. Say a prayer for Gloria, Jaye, and Carmen and their loved ones. They are our sisters from Georgia. I haven't heard from Deni who is our sister from Mississippi since just before Katrina hit. Does anyone know about her and her family? Keep all in your thoughts and prayers. One other thing. We used to type our names, a slash, then our GW names. Most got away from this practice, but it may help our new people put names with GW names. If you think this will help, you are encouraged to do this at least until everyone gets to know each other. Debbie/budsnblooms
    ...See More
  • 18 years ago

Barb,

I am sorry for not Welcoming you properly....I am glad to have you here with us. If there is anything I can do please let me know. I have a number of daylilies set aside to send you in the spring. My daughter was looking through our books the other day and I did not have you marked off as there are still a few I was suppose to sen you but could not dig this fall due to our sever drought but I do have them tagged with your name on them if they survive the winter. I have a real ugly looking garden but I am not watering anything else except newly added plants. My last water bill was $413.00 or something like that...My mother went and paid it with a check I left for her so she got to have the stroke instead of me.

I am assuming that Annie and Paul are now also members of our family....Welcome to you both...looking forward to getting to know you both.

Deni

• 18 years ago

Good Morning All,

I recieved an e-mail from Mary B telling me to come in and introduce myself and say hello.

Since this group has formed, I've read the posts and wished to join but thought you guys only traded daylilies. With my passion being hosta, with very little daylily ready to be traded, I hesitated about asking to join.

I'm hoping next year some of mine will be ready to share. But, I've learned ....not far from here are two daylily farms, and this will give me an excuse to check them out. It really is tough when a person has multiple plant addictions.

Like my member page states, we have one son "Shelby" which I hope you don't get tired of my constant updates on him.

Barb, "mother to mother", I do know the feelings, and fear that you are having right now, and I'm sorry to hear of the journey your daughter will be going through. Shelby is now 26, was married in April of this year, and was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia July 12, 2002. I know treatment and medicine can get very costly, but there is help out there. I will e-mail you with what we were told to do about the astronomical price of medicine. My prayers and thoughts go out to you.

I'm very excited about joining ,and thanks again, to each and everyone of you for making it possible for me to be part of this group.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• 18 years ago

Morning all!

Hi Deni! So nice to see you back and posting! Dang, now we can't talk about you, LOL! I loved your visit and missed you and your sweet family after you left. You're so nice calling me a sweetie...really, I was behaving myself :). You picked a great time weather-wise to be in TN, this week winter has set in, brrrrrrrr. I think fall just passed us by. Maleah has just about worn out the cinderella dress, and Coty goes out to the front yard when we have a clear night to see what he can find with his telescope. The day after you were here, Maleah asked if Meagan was coming back to play :). I 'had' two bags of Dove chocolate for you and forgot to give them to you! So, I ate them in your honor.

Barb, I absolutely love your daughter's work and Heaven and Hell is mesmerizing. I sent the website to my MIL and she loved it. She is quite the shutterbug too, but after seeing your daughter's work, she was humbled! Many prayers to your daughter and your whole family as she travels over this mountain. A close friend of mine was diagnosed with the basal cell this summer. She is staying positive and the outcome is very good.

Welcome to Annie and Paul! Annie, I am familiar with your posts and always seemed to be a genuinely nice person. Are you the one that collects Raggedy Ann and Andy things? Paul, we need more men around here to keep us gals on our toes!

Marea, it was a tough pic, but I have known you here the longest and wanted to show my appreciation for your friendship. Someday we shall all meet face to face.

I wanna go to DQ! A Baskin Robins just opened nearby, and we have been going about once a week. Y-U-M!

Angie, get down from the chadelier!

Alrighty, off to run some errands and find something special for Marea :).

~Canna

• 18 years ago

Welcome to the group everyone.

Cindy, those eyeballs are either caramel or fudge filled. I got hooked on them last year. Now that the date is set, lots of planning to do. Does John have us covered? :) Betting he's a great planner. Sounds like he planned a great night for the two of you. I have an extra tent too.

Mereas, if you were able to come, plants wouldn't be necessary. Be great just to meet you. My daylily mentor says they should be cut before frost. :) Especially new ones, takes from the plant if not cut. From what I know which isn't expert advice. Cutting scapes will help the plant to multiply fans.

Jo, great score on the greenhouse. That would take up my whole back yard. Though I don't think I would care, being able to garden in the winter without weeds would be awesome. :) Sherri

• 18 years ago

Hey guys! Check out this thread

And, this video

LOL!
    ~Canna (really leaving now to run errands)

• 18 years ago

All daylilies, Sherri? Even new little ones set out this autumn? Deni sent me wonderful new ones and they have grown nice new leaves but they are still small. I was going to mulch them today againt the freeze coming.

Good thing I'm right here in the GW daylily capitol when this question comes up...

Barb

• 18 years ago

Morning all!

WELCOME to our newest members, Annie & Paul!
    Annie, we will never get sick of your updates. Hugs to you and your dear son. We will be here for you. Hosta! Great, that's MY new addiction.

Paul, please jump in and tell us about yourself. We have two other men here with us, Joey and Cody, who both have phenomenal plant collections. Cody is our "Garden Guru"....ask him anything!

Barb, I have been praying for only positve things for your DD. I am sure things will be okay. That is something that really scares me, skin cancer. Due to my profession, I am outdoors getting baked every day from sun up to sun down. I also love to lay at the pool and in my past never used much common sense. I too was a teenager, slathering myself with baby oil and burning to a crisp. Stupid, stupid. My whole family did it. I have a great Aunt, Aunt Dot, who laid in the sun most days of her life. She now is the most wrinkled woman on the face of the earth. I have already had one mole removed from my face and 3 from my stomach. All benign, thank goodness. I will be going back this winter for another check-up. Know that we will be here for you if you need to talk.
    Also, do you mind if I send your trade box (from our private trade) out so you recieve it early next week? We had a totally unexpected snow, and tons of frozen rain. What a mess! Next week is supposed to be beautiful. I know we're in a hurry to get things in the ground, so i'll try to get it out Saturday.

Speaking of snow, YUUUUUUUCK!!! I could have thrown up when I saw this Tues. morning: GROSS!

AAACCCCKKKKKK! Look at my poor Mums. They got all smashed and broken. The snow was so wet & heavy. I have a Rose of Sharon that is about 9' tall and it was totally bent over all the way to the ground. It still hasn't straightened up yet. And of course, all my pots weren't in yet. Fortunately it didn't get that cold.

Angie, yippee for you!!

Deni, I'm super glad to see you back in action. Loved the pic of you & dear Canna.

Shirley, i'm counting on you to keep MamaG in line. Only ONE CCC Blizzard, or preferably Breeze, LOL. Hope you guys have fun.

Ellen, Cactusfreak over on the GH forum uses bubblewrap (actually a solar pool cover, I think) on her greenhouse and has great info. I may try it just because propane is so ridiculously expensive this year.

Marea, I wouldn't cut it off either, lol. Wish I could be more help. Maybe Debbie can give you some advice.

MaryB, thanks for keeping our Nov. swap list up to date. It's definately gonna' be a good one.

I am about to print out the list of things needed and start working on Tana's box. I am going shopping with my sis a little later and hope to find some good things.

Jo, how's that fabulous GH coming along? I love those little carts!

Cindy, wine & hot tub! Sounds so relaxing and romantic!
    The eyeballs from Sherri were chocolate and some were filled with peanut butter, caramel, and creamy chocolate.

Nancy, great to see you posting! Hope you are having a great time with your Dad.

Carol, have fun in Texas. I'll bet your pups will miss you.

Anita, did you get a frost yet?

Canna, Glad you got your var. Hibiscus. She beat me to it!!! I am trying to root some of mine. Oh yeah! Hibiscus list............where the heck is it? : )

Well, gotta' get ready to go. Sis and I will shop first, then go to Tattoo Parlor. No, not me. DH doesn't prefer tattoo's, so I won't be getting one today. This will be the 3rd for my youngest sis. They are all on her lower back. I will be taking pictures. First time ever in a tattoo shop! Can't wait! I still want to get one, but respecting DH's feelings. I think he's nervous that I will come home with one. : )

MamaG, next Healthy Living tip on the way later............

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• 18 years ago

OMG Canna, you really are my long lost sis. We have the same sense of humor.

Loved the "Hortoween" thread!

LOLOLOLOL....and the BSB video was the best! The dude in the backgroud just cracked me up, he seemed off in his own cyber-world.........

Then, the broken hand popped up.......lololol

THEN, the sweatband!!!!

That is a must see!
    Thank you!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• 18 years ago

Goodmorning everyone

Annie - A big welcome! I used my poor selection of daylilies when we got started as an excuse to go shopping for daylilies. There's lots of hosta lovers here too. When I started out last year, I only had 8 different named daylilies. Now I have over 100. That's through trading and purchases. Beware, your collection will grow fast around here.

Dawn, bubble wrap and solar covers are two different solutions for keeping in heat in the greenhouse. I only bubblewrapped the ceiling with one layer of bubble wrap. There are a couple of gaps in this too. The difference is that my greenhouse used to only keep itself about 4 degrees above the outside temp. Last night it kept itself 20 degrees above the outside temp. What a huge difference! I plan on adding more bubblewrap to it. Someone once posted on the greenhouse forum that with two layers of bubblewrap a small 1500 watt electic heater kept their greenhouse very warm all winter. This was for a small greenhouse which mine is also.

Time to dig up some tender perennials before they all die.

Ellen

• 18 years ago

Marea, Don't know if this will help, but I snip a bud off a daylily if I don't think it will have time to bloom a 'beautiful' flower. Around here that is in Sept. No need for it to put all that energy into making a flower if it isn't going to look good.

Barb, I've had 2 siblings get basal cell skin cancer and a Grandma got it after moving to Florida. 2 women at work had it last year. All 5 were fine. I love the cat picture of your daughters. She is in my thoughts.
    About Houseplants . . . well, I have a varigated rubber tree I bought eons ago for my son. It never got over 2 ft tall and looked pathetic. Then 2 or 3 years ago I started putting it on my shaded front porch in the summers and now it is close to 8 ft. Here is a picture of it.
    {{gwi:1305177}}

I also have 9 cliva's that I've started from seeds. 3 are almost 3 years old. Hopefully they will bloom at 5 years old. And we thought it was hard to wait the 2 or 3 years for daylilies to bloom!

MaryB, I never received an email about Annie. Can you please check you list and make sure my email address is correct. toomanyanimals@wowway.net

Secret Santa Swap - I haven't heard anything about this????

Dawn, burrr, I thought we had it bad when it went down to 25 last night. We have vowed to not turn on the furnace till NOv. 1st. I'm putting on my mittens. LOL

Welcome Annie and Paul. I think I have traded seeds with Annie before.

And what is all this talk of Chocolate Cherry Blizzards????
    Don't you know that COOKIE DOUGH BLIZZARDS are the best! ;o)

Canna - loved the links!

sharon/tma

• 18 years ago

anyone have any cool named begonias or brugs for a nice little begonia 'marmaduke'? i'm on a serious variegation kick right now!

• 18 years ago

Here is a useful link for those that have a Hobby Lobby nearby. Hobby Lobby coupon. I printed it out and used it today. Good 'til the 29th and can be used multiple times. I got a real nice rotary cutter that I have been wanting but could bear to shell out the dough. Now I can tackle a quilt I have been wanting to make that has applique'.

~Canna

• 18 years ago

Good Day All,

BIG WELCOME To Annie & Paul, My your Daylily and other addictions be filled here!!!!!

Mary B,
    I did not get the E-mail either till Jo responded to you.

Sharon,
    Your E-mail box is full, or it was right when the E-mail went out, as I tried to respond to Jo's & yours came back saying full box.

((((Barb)))),
    What can I say, but to let you know, we are all here for you & I know your daughter will be fine, With all the prayers coming from this group, she has to be:)
    Houseplants, Oh that will have to be covered on my catch up round:)

Dawn,
    Sorry to see the snow got you instead of me like the weather dorks predicted, A few small frost's here mixed wet snow nothing bad yet!!!! Your blue bird is, well lets just say it made me cry.

Canna,
    Loved that thread, but I could not view the video?

Deni,
    Did Canna give you our hug's? So good to see some of us getting to meet:) I bet you guys had a blast. On the questioner, I would also like to have copies of all & I would like to add a few questions myself, I know I won't have time before Monday, busy weekend, have to get all our wood in, ASAP. 1 of the questions I would like to add is: What is your Job, if you have one? I know we have many different careers here, but to put a name with a job would be nice, I know Mamma G is Bonds Woman, Dawn is a Lawns Keeper, Mary B is an OK I forgot the correct word, she Draws Blood, Plibotamist(sp), Jo works at Joann Fabric's, Nancy runs a Grocery Store & Mary S is a Nurse, I want to know everything I can about all of them, so yes we can make the box's fit for them better.

Susie,
    What is a BOY TOSS UP? Maybe I want in on that one...Your a Spacecoast & Siloam freak like me, I will be getting like 10 new Spacecoast from blueridge in 2006, by 2006 I bet I will be getting everyone he has, 8 months is a long time to keep adding up Daylilies, Each month I keep buying more from him, till shipping time in 2006, I am up to 64 new ones right now.

Nancy,
    Glad to see you:) Yes, as I said I missed you & still do, this once in a few months posting has to be fixed:)

Jo,
    I see you stumbled on to another great find.. You go girl, David & I have been talking about building one next year. He realized if I had a greenhouse, he would get the entire full basement, to do what ever it is that he thinks he is doing in his work shop, I really have no clue, it is always a mess, But he has not built anything in years?

Ellen,
    Oh, I had a blast shopping today for your November box, This swap is going to be awesome, & how old are your 2 kid's?

Oh I know I have a ton more catching up to do, but I must go check my eBay auction's. Blueridgebuttons is a calling my name...
    Have a great day all...:)Anita

• 18 years ago

Oh, Man I forgot...

ANGIE-----Way to go:)Please stop by & clue us in??? We need to know:)

• 18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick check in.

Sharon,
    I have your correct e-mail addy, and I sent the e-mail out to everyone about the Dec. Secret Santa swap. It didn't come back to me. Could it be sitting in your spam folder?I will resend as soon as I post this.

HUGE WELCOME to Annie and Paul
    We will make sure you have more than ONE addiction if you hang around here with us. We are fantastic enablers, we are, we are.

Dianne,
    It will be a week or 2 before I get your box out to you. I have a couple of things I need to get done.

Barb,
    Keep us posted, we are all praying for her.(and you)

Annie,
    You too, keep us posted, we will be glad to add Shelby to our prayer list, that he stays cancer free. It makes 5 years cancer free for my DH. I stay thankful for every day.

Anita,
    Awesome. So intelligent of you to point out to your DH that he would have all that room if you had a big greenhouse. (big grinz)

Dawn,
    Your poor flowers. Brrrrrrrrr!!!

Update on our greenhouse;
    The overhead door, and louvres came home today. Also, about 500 more feet of irrigation tubing from another greenhouse that is being torn down for the lumber. They are checking to see if the other people want the plastic from it (he thinks they only want the lumber) it was new this past spring (over $3000.00) He said if they don't want it, it is ours, we will know tomorrow. DH also has another garden cart for his tractor the guy gave him today. A group of us are going on Sun. to get the plastic off. It is one solid piece (96x40) so will take some serious work to get it off. 2 of the folks going are our neighbors. We have the best neighbors ever. I can't say enough about how great they are. We help each other all the time.(of course, I have included them in my addictions, and she orders some plants with me every spring)yes, daylilies too, she is up to about 25. too funny.

Well, I am off to do some serious relaxing. Had to take a soak in a tub of hot water as soon as I got home. We had a huge shipment today, and the boxes were huge too. We busted our tails. All of us that worked on the shipment are exhausted.

Have a great night everyone.

Hugs,
    Jo/juspeachy

• 18 years ago

SHARON,

I just sent you the e-mail about Dec. Secret Santa swap, and it came back saying "Rejected due to user exceeding it's mailbox quota"

I will be glad to try again. LMK when I can.

thanks,
    Jo/juspeachy

• 18 years ago

Jo, you are an angel for putting up with me. I just sent you a note . . . my email is no longer full. My ISP did not notify me that my email was full (my old ISP used to).

Keep working hard on that greenhouse,it will be worth it! This from a non-greenhouse owner. We do have a sunroom but we had those filtered windows put in and plants will not grow in that room. Can you imagine, all those windows and I have plastic plants in there. LOL

Good night everyone,
    sharon/tma

• 18 years ago

Hugs to anyone with health issues. Thankyou for picking me cindy, I feel loved again. welcome anne and paul. Mareas I should have extra dahlias to trade just lmk what ones you would like. Cody I have some lovely peach brug cuttings I just received from a sweet tdl member, sorry can't share them yet tho. They are rooting. I am having trouble finding something that stinks for my november box, any suggestions?

• 18 years ago

veejall,

Fish emulsion, for plant food stinks, would this work for you?

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• 18 years ago

I've never used it, but when our son was little, and he had gold fish, when cleaning out the tank I would pour the fish water on plants.

Annie

• 18 years ago

Barb, if you just got the daylilies then they don't need cut unless they have scapes on them. If you were lucky enough for them to bloom this late, chances are they would be distorted. But definately don't let them set scapes this late if they are new.....could kill the plant. I am the worst at cutting scapes especially ones that I haven't seen bloom yet. A year seems like so long yet it goes so fast. :) As for the rest of your perrenials, most should actually get heavily frosted before being cut. I cut some of mine back during indian summer and some get cut in the spring...Easter weekend is my spring cut date. Before the new foliage starts growing.
    I went and looked at your daughters photos and she is definately very talented. Think she will be very successful in her career.

Dawn........SNOW.....oh no. I am so not ready for that. You had peanut butter in your eyeballs?????? I didn't know any had peanut butter in them. Will have to buy another bag. :)
    That pic of your blue bird is awesome sitting on that log. :) Do your parrots all talk? What do they say the most? Sherri

• 18 years ago

EEEWWWW Annie, stinky fish water... bet it worked great though. When I was younger, my Mom always saved the egg shells whenever we used eggs. She would soak them in water and then use the water for her houseplants. Stinky, but effective.She had great looking plants. I already have my stinky object, as well as "something she won't want" picked out for Cindy.

Paul and Annie, you will need to send your full name, address and birthday out to Debbie (budsandblooms) to get added to our member list. Then she will send you out a complete list of all of us. (I think she's still the one doing this).

Deb, where are you girl??

Jo, wow sounds like the greenhouse is moving right along for you.

Oh Dawn, I just cannot believe your SNOW pictures. I'm not ready, I'm not ready.

Deni, great idea on sending out the questionnaire. I've also thought about having an information sheet on everyone, but never got off my duff and did it.

Gotta run and get the kids off to school. Be back later.
    MaryB

• 18 years ago

Deni-Thanks for the questionaire sheet. That will be so helpful. We fill out one of those when we choose secret pals at church. Helps tremendously. Mary please get yours filled out so I can work on your Nov. box. So excited about it.

Annie & Paul do you want in on the Nov. swap? If you do I can take one of you and give you MaryB. I'm sure she would not mind. Or you can send to each other. Nov. and Dec. are fun months to do this trading boxes.

Canna-Wish we had a Hobby Lobby, sure would use that coupon..Thanks for thinking of us. Loved the thread about Horotoween. Did not know they had all those wierd plants.

Sharon-I have been wanting to try that COOKIE DOUGH BLIZZARD but honestly I can't get past the CHERRY ONE.

Dawn-Whew I am not ready for snow yet. That season comes way too early.

Shirley

• 18 years ago

Good morning all!!! 4 days off for me...yeah! and the weather is supposed to warm too. back to 70's by the weekend.:).

MaryB - forgot to mention thanks for picking me! hhmmm...you got the stinky and don't want parts done - hhmmm....lol. But i know you better....i haved loved every box you have ever sent.
    oh. correct above if i confused. w&g closed on sun...

July 17th - I am excited. Yep Sherri - we have alot of planning to do. John is going to be in charge of f&b but i think we are going to have to cover the rest.

Deni...what a great idea...and Carol ...thanks for filling out:). Will make it easier for me:).

Annie & Paul - welcome!

Annie, wow. the lady who got MaryB into hosta! awesome. Maryb started me on the kick. i had two unk's to start with:).

Marea - planes do come here !:).
    For what its worth...on scape cutting....my sissors do work most of the time anyway. Flower production takes alot of plant energy which could otherwise be directed to the plant roots. I cut scapes on any that will not bloom before frost (flowers distored anyway - but if they are within a few days...will flower inside)

Sherri - darn....needed eyeball gum....long story. i think they have quit making.

Dawn - loved that bird too:)

Anita - i like to shop all year too. gives you something to drool over in those cold winter months.

Off to do a last mow and think about things for Carol!

DQ- haven't ever made it past those sundaes. they have a chocolate pecan one that is to die for. maybe ill have to branch out....dq is near the nursury :).

Cindy O/namso

I

• 18 years ago

Oh forgot...
    this pics for Debbie.

Spacecoast Krinkles
    {{gwi:1305178}}

Cindy O

• 18 years ago

Good Morning All,

Just a quick check in.....

Jo~ THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THAT AWESOME FALL PICTURE!!!
    It just took my breath away....I starred at it for quite some time......JUST BEAU-TEE-FUL!!

WELCOME ANNIE!! (love hosta's, too)!! Another enabler...LOL

WELCOME PAUL!! (tell us a bit more about yourself, I see you like tropicals)

Barb~ Sorry to hear about your daughter, having a positive attitude is great medicine in itself, she'll been in our prayers!

Cody~ I have 1 rooted small varigated white brug....

Nancy!! Deni!!! good to see you posting.....

Dawn~ just looking at that picture makes me cold....brrrr
    doesn't cactusfreak have a lovely greenhouse? I'm invited to go see it......

Canna~ you are too funny....

Sharon~ what is that plant in the picture on the floor by your varigated ficus? Is that a cactus? I have a small one and was wondering what the name of it is?

I water all my houseplants with the water siphend out from all my aquariums when I go to clean them out...the plants seem to love the stinky, poopie stuff....guess it's pretty much like fish emulsion.

Well, finally got all the tropicals in....took 2 1/2 days...good thing, because we had a cold snap here at night for the last few days...G~ you're higher up in elavation, how low did it get for you?

Everyone have a FABULOUS FRIDAY!!

Jaye

• 18 years ago

Good Morning all,

The fish emolsion is the only thing I would think of that was stinky, and plant related. LOL

Shirley,
    Thank you for the offering of letting me take Mary, and not that I wouldn't love to, but I think I will wait and get in on the Xmas one. Who do I contact, or do I wait for someone to contact me?

Cindy O,
    Yep, Mary says I'm the one that got her hooked, but I'm sure she had some great trades for hosta before that. I'm really glad she posted that day with the offer of all the grasses she sent in the trade. We've became such good friends, and when my son first went out of the country for the first time on vacation, I was worried sick. MaryB sent me a pick-me-up package, just because. She has even resent plants that I've managed to kill.

Jaye,
    I'm glad to hear there are lot of hosta lovers on here. With hosta, at least I will have something to work with when trading with everyone. Again, as I said before, in the spring this will give me an excuse to check out the two daylily farms, not far from here.

Well, we got our first frost this morning, and the sun is shining. This is my last day off so I better get out there and clean up one of my iris patches.

MaryB, Now who do I send my address to? Could you please give me her e-mail address.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• 18 years ago

Hallelujah!!!

I am officially laid off from job #1 at the golf course!

Yes, i'm running around doing a celebration dance.

I will be depressed by Monday though. It happens that way every year. I go into mowing-withdrawals and really miss the place and all my critter friends up there and even a few of the guys. I like to go up and run the cart path in the dead of winter to say hello to all the birds, skunks, and little red fox that have become my friends. It's a good workout too.

Jaye, wanted to tell you that I totally forgot to email you with the plant names. I'm so sorry. Will do it shortly. : )
    How cool you got invited to cactusfreaks! Her GH is awesome! And she is just full of knowledge.

Tanarae........oh Tanarae.........
    I was doing some shopping yesterday........I really hope you like what I found. I am going to wait to mail it 'till Monday so you get it in November.
    I got a really great, stinky thing for you!!!!!!

Got more to blab about, but have to run to the bank & grocery shop.....

TGIF and SSMTWRFSSMTWRFSSMTWRFSSMTWRFSSMTWRFSSMTWRFSSMTWRF...hee hee

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• 18 years ago

Please keep the pictures coming. I really enjoy looking at them all.

A friend gave me a digital camera, now I just have to learn to use it!

Annie

• 18 years ago

Just stopped in to read the posts
    and say

Welcome Annie and Paul.
    Did someone say hostas..hehehe..not here

Welcome Back Deni and kewl idea..but were we suppost to send it back to everyone or just you..and if we want infor for someone email you?

Jo ..a free greenhouse..now how cool is that..and so BIG
    please keep us posted on how it's going..and pictures when you can.

Barb..prayers for you and your daughter...((big hug))

Canna to to funny

Dawn NO NOT SNOW..OH I can't look...going to hind under the covers now..lol...is it spring yet??

Going to play in the dirt some.Have a good weekend all
    Jean/Dirtpig

• 18 years ago

Woot it's 61 out ...going now..lol
    Jean

• 18 years ago

Jaye, the cactus-like plant on the floor is called a Huernia Schneiderana. Mine has red flowers. Someday I hope to get the life saver plant.

Huernia schneiferana
    {{gwi:1305179}}

Huernia zebrina - life saver plant
    {{gwi:1305180}}

Loved the Spacecoast Krinkles!!!!!!

sharon/tma

• 18 years ago

Hello Ladies

Mamabird (Dawn) you gotta quit teasing me like that. Now I can't wait to see whats in the box.

Sharon great pics, I love the lifesaver plant pic. I only have the carrion starfish one. I love it though.

Big welcome to Annie and Paul!!!

Hugs Barb, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your DD.

The Space coast dls are sooooooo beautiful. I know I am going to have to collect all of them! Another obsession!

Tanarae

• 18 years ago

Hello, everyone.
    I'm not sure if I'm officially in yet or not... will I get a notification or something?
    Anyways, here's a photo for you to tie you over and perhaps earn your vote... lol. This is a plumeria called "Charlotte Ebert".. smells sweet like candy. Enjoy!

{{gwi:1305181}}

{{gwi:1238356}}

• 18 years ago

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

Jean/dirtpig, I will be gla to send out the information to any that want it once I have the database set up and I will also be happy to send you information on your pal for the month at anytime.

Now with that said...if any of your information changes please let me know. Also if there is anything about you or your family that you think would help us out in choosing gifts and plants for you in a swap or whatever we might be doing at the time please sen it to me so I can add it to your information.

I also want to ad that once the cookbook has been put together and finalized I will check with a local publisher here in town about printing it up for us. I have a few other ideas on the subject but will save it for the email system.

Annie and Paul, Please forward me your regular email addresses so that I can forward you the questionair as well as get all your other info.

I will wait on sending the email until I can add them to it. As I stated I have a few ideas that I would like to bounce off of all of you.

One other thing...Meghan would like to join the group...please let me know your thoughts. Please do not feel you have to except her in because of me. She just mentioned it today that she would like to join and do her on trades.

Deni

• 18 years ago

Nice photo Paul, I'm jealous now. I have a strong plumeria addiction along with many others. I just got 16 new cuttings and I have about 6 other plants. None are blooming size yet but should be in the spring. Can't wait till I can take some photos of my own. When that baby gets big enough pleaaaaaase keep me in mind for a cutting. Tanarae

• 18 years ago

Good Morning,
    It's been fun reading all the completed questionnaires as they roll in. It will make the swaps sooo much easier.

I sent out an email to everyone last night with Annie's info to add to your address and email lists. I've had three bounce back so far - Susie, Melissa and Gay. I'm expecting to see Canna's return also since the last two times I've tried to send to her it's come back.

Paul, yes you are in. Sounds like Deni (abitodd)is going to take care of getting all of your info to us. Please email her with your full name, address, email address and birthday and she will add you to our member list. The person who recommended you to join our group (I believe it was Carol and Shirley) will be responsible for getting you up to speed on how the group works, making sure you have a members list, etc., etc. But really, you can email any of us with questions. Nice plumeria picture. There are quite a few tropical lovers here. Please post again and tell us all a little more about yourself.

Deni, Meghan is your wonderful daughter that helped you put together that awesome game, right? I will be the first to cast a big YES vote for her!

CindyO, Yes, Annie was the one who hooked me on hostas. I'll tell you exactly what it was - got a long tubular box with big,MATURE divisions of Sagae, Sea Fire and Paul's Glory along with about 5 other smaller hostas. I took one look at that Sagae and it was love. BTW, Annie's Sagae is now in your garden and some of her Sea Fire went to dirtpig this year. Oooooh, love your Spacecoast Krinkles too. Hope you have enough photos this year to see us through the winter.

Well, you will all be proud of me. I was cleaning up the garden yesterday and actually did it. GRITTED my teeth and cut scapes from two different daylilies.

Gotta run. Want to get Deni's questionnaire out and then off to work.
    Have a great day,
    MaryB

• 18 years ago

MaryB - can't figure why you got a bounce back for
    I have recieved from others when they do a reply to all
    I have their info to print off .
    can you please try agin ?
    I have had one bounce back & that was toomanyanimals
    said her mail had exceded the limit .

toomanyanimals :))) PLEASE DUMP YOUR BOX :)))
    sounds as if you might need a spam catcher :)))

well I have shopping to do today & some yard work
    great day to do it .
    HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND ALL
    susie/skohler

• 18 years ago

i say yes for meghan!

did anyone tell paul that to officially be in the group he needs to send everyone plumeria cuttings? someone needs to let him know! lol

• 18 years ago

good morning everyone, i feel like it was forever ago that i was here. seems you all voted me in, i participated in a few swaps and then disappeared. although i didn't post anything, when i was able to catch some time, i read as much as i could. i tried my best to keep up with everything going on and i am amazed how quickly this group goes through a post! even though i may not have "spoken up" in the last few months, if warm thoughts, prayers, hugs or smiles were needed by any of you, i sure kept that in mind and in my heart!

well, now i hope i am back as things around here have sure slowed down. both my uncle who i have been taken care of for a long time and my mother were hospitalized. my mother came through things well, but my uncle is still a struggle. he's home now, with home health care, and that first company we had out taking care of him (said with disdain), did NOTHING to promote health, strength or anything close to healing. needless to say they are done, and a new company and new caretakers are there and they are a true blessing from God. He has improved dramatically, so I think i can ease off my involvement and get back to me here and there. (he's soon to be 93!) since i put everything on the back burner in the last few months, i have a lot to catch up.

i'm so looking forward to getting back into the swaps and just the general "buzz" of what's happening around here. dawn, don't you dare send that snow down this way. i thought of you when i heard that on the news last week.

waving to Paul...hey buddy, how are ya? glad to see you here. (wait until you all see those gorgeous pics of the flowers he grows, you can smell them right through the computer!). a big warm welcome to annie as well.

well, i'm off to run some saturday morning errands and then hoping to get outside for a spell as the weather is supposed to hit the 70's today, tomorrow is a lost day, so must make the most of today!

be well all. happy blooms!

earthly/maryanne

• 18 years ago

Welcome Paul, he is a plumeria pro. I have some of his seeds.but cuttings for all would be good. Leaving for Texas today, Jean plase send me your list of likes collectables ect. I will access my e-mail from texas and want to do some shopping A Big yes forMeghan.Thankyou for sharing her Deni. I had to put new pup out in pen with other dogs, I felt bad, I will miss her.hope to find sun in Texas. 40's here with showers. Got a new scape on one of my days.

• 18 years ago

Morning everyone,

I sent out a "LAST CALL" to sign up for the Dec. Secret Santa swap. If you wanted to be in on this(and you have not sent me an e-mail, and gotten a reply) then you need to let me know by 7am tomorrow(10-30-05)I will be matching partners and sending out, and if I don't have your name, you will miss out. This is gonna be an AWESOME swap. I have some great ideas for it, and don't forget the "prize" for the ___________ box.

TO OUR NEW MEMBERS..

We are currently working on a cookbook with recipes from all of us. Right now I need at least one (preferably 2) cookie recipes from each of you to finish off the cookie section so we can move on to the next. PLEASE send me at least one (to my e-mail addy)in the next day or so. I really need to get this moving.
    I need a cookie recipe from...
    Maryanne
    Susie
    Carmen
    Tana
    Barb
    Annie
    Paul
    And if I don't have at least one from any of you others who have been here a while, I would love for you to send me one ASAP.

I will be starting the next section soon, so I need to hear from you within the next 3 days. Thanks

Susie,
    She did, you can send her mail now.(see her post above!)

Jaye,
    you are welcome. Doubt if I can get many more, with the hard frost we had, most leaves are falling now, but will try tomorrow, it is supposed to be sunny and "warm" (in the 60's) Yahoo!

Have a great day everyone,
    Hugs all round,

Jo/juspeachy

• 18 years ago

Good morning to everyone. Got to get outside and do lots of clean-ups today. Need to plant bulbs also. Sun and nice weather is calling my name. My sister works at Lowe's and she called early this morning and said Lowe's is having a huge store cleaning sale. So My Aunt, my daughter and myself headed to Lowe's. My AUnt bought a brand new dish washer for $100.00. She was tickled pink.
    I bought the pink peace lilies for $1.25. They were huge and had a $24.95 original price on them. Got two of those and my aunt got one. Got lots of other house plants for 25 cents and 50 cents. Love those sales. Then my niece calls and says their Wal Mart is doing the same thing. I would have to drive to Clayton, Georgia so will have to pass on that big sale.

Cindy-Love that Spacecoast Krinkles. I bought it this year and hope to see it bloom next year.

Anita-Glad to see another Spacecoast lover. We will have to get our lists together and trade next year. Cindy has some I want too. Never thought I would pay $100.00 for a daylily. It's kinda like buying bottled water. When they first started selling bottled water I said no way they are crazy. Now I would rather buy the water than soft drinks.

Earthly-So glad to see you post. Missed you while you were away. Glad everything has turned around.

I say yes for Meghan. Our group keeps getting better and better. Annie, Paul and now Meghan.

Can't get an e-mail from Gloria. She was coming to visit but have not heard from her in a couple of days. Hope she's ok.

Gotta go and get busy................

Shirley

• 18 years ago

Hi, Everyone. Thank you for the warm welcome and for accepting me.
    I live in southern California just north of Los Angeles. I mainly grow plumeria, epiphyllum, adenium, brugmansia, passiflora, and cacti/succulents. Scattered around these are daylily, dahlia, canna, and other tropical things like champaca, ylang ylang, few orchids, etc. It's really chaotic in the garden with no real theme... I just love growing all plants and put them wherever I find room.

Hmmm... plumeria cuttings for everyone.. that one might be tough... I suppose you'd prefer them rooted as well.. LOL. Actually I do have several seedpods right now so come spring, I should have some seeds to share with all of you. Also, I'll be cutting some brugs in the near future and will have a few cuttings if anyone is interested. Here's a photo of my Sunray.

{{gwi:1305182}}

Thanks. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
    {{gwi:1238356}}

• 18 years ago

Welcome Paul & Annie!

And of course my vote is a big YES for Meghan, too.

Thank you all for answering the scape question. I figured that saving energy for the roots was the idea. Oh, this is gonna be hard.
    My Dahlia opened two of her buds - and it's frosted here the last two nights... I have two utterly gorgeous tiny purple & white dahlias in a vase.

Canna - I am thankful for you because you have been my friend through thick and thin.

Thank you, Susie, for your brilliant idea of the questionnaire! Fascinating reading! *grin*

Last I heard from Gloria she was on her way out of town to go to a dahlia farm... I wonder if she's on her way, Shirley, too excited to remember to let you know? *giggle* marea

• 18 years ago

Can you recognize this plant from this photo?
    {{gwi:1305183}}
    It has elm leaf shaped green leaves that are fuzzy and purple edged and splotched - with purplish stems. It sprouted in the Siberian Irises you sent and is spreading with fuzzy purple tipped underground stolons - I LOVE it! Marea

• 18 years ago

marea : The Quesionar was not my idea I got it from deni I think & then I just added the part to put our name addy
    birth: ect ect :))) it makes it easier to print off & we all will have a copy when you fill out yours and reply to all everyone will get it :)) .
    Deni it was a great idea .
    Now wanted to share with you My Babies are now 3wks today & their little feathers are just comming in good . I will start hand feeding today & for the next 2-3 wks:))
    I have the grey /white sold when it is ready :))

{{gwi:1305184}}

Looks to be another good Bright sunny day finaly got my yard vac back so sweeping up the leaves :)))
    have a great day to all .
    susie

• 18 years ago

HAPPY "OWLOWEEN"!!!!!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!