SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ituzzip

Summer-dormant plants green in fall/winter/spring?

pizzuti
12 years ago

I've observed a garden as a whole does better when there are species in it that are green in very early spring and very late fall. My hypotheses include that those plants compete against winter-growing weeds, and that they feed mycorrizal communities year-round which help summer plants.

But aside from speculation, hot, dry summers are common here and winter-growing plants seem to thrive by taking advantage of cold, even if it's not until mid-spring spring or late spring when they finally bloom. Winter plants are an untapped potential when it comes to maximizing garden space, and I love seeing new growth popping up in the late fall when others plants are dying.

I'm thinking of summer-dormant species like oriental poppies, which leaf out in fall and again in early spring to grow from seed-to-mature much quicker than you'd expect for such a showy plant; Muscari with fall/winter leaves, hardy cyclamen, Arum Italicum (which I've never tried but I'm sure they wouldn't be "invasive" in our semi-arid climate like they are elsewhere), etc.

Can anybody suggest some other species that put on growth in the late fall or early spring - or even all winter - when most plants are dormant? I live in Zone 5.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus